Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on blown engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Onehokie, May 1, 2007.

1. Onehokie

Onehokie Newbie

I have an 88 Blazer with 5.7l 350 that crapped out on me on the highway. Mechanic says he thinks bad bearing, the engine is bad and needs replacement. I have a transmission leak as well. Does it make sense to fix? I can find a reman for $2-3K installed. Should I put in a new one or sell it and buy something else? Any ideas on what would make it worth anything now? I am a complete newbie and pretty mechanically useless so any advice would be very welcome.

I am halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville, VA if anyone would want to take a look at it.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Call your local GM dealers... they have NEW, not reman, Goodwrench motors. Last I checked the 350's were between $1500-1800 (not including installation.) Decent warranty, especially if you have the dealer install it, and it's NEW, not rebuilt.

Do call around though, as I found +/- $400 or so variation -- in the exact same motor -- in a 15 mile radius.

-- A

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If you can turn wrenches at all pulling an engine isn't THAT big of a deal. Just takes patience and some manuvering under the truck. If you have the time and are willing to learn, just rent/borrow a cherry picker (or buy a hoist $40 at Harbor Frieght) and start pulling it. If you get hun gup the bretherine here will certainly chime in and help you out. The trickiest part of installing the engine is getting the distributer installed and setting the timing. Is your ride lifted. That can be a hassle sometimes when pulling an engine with a picker.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

tell me about it:doah: when i put my new motor in the truck was on wheels in my shop.:haha:

when my motor took a poo ibought the290hp gm350from my local dearler i *believe* it was somewehres around 18-1900. onyl problems i had were that ALL of the exhaust vavle seals went bad. :dunno: but the dealer i bought it at fixed themfor free. sooo w.e. right?lol

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Mine is only lifted 6" but I had to take the front wheels off, jack the rear end up and shorten the chain on the picker to slide it over the RAD support.

6. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 8 inch lift and a 3 inch body lift on his truck and we used a forklift to change motors. NO problems at all