Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on boat purchase

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, May 24, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Especially from anyone in the business. I'm looking at buying a boat and wanting some advice on makes and models to look for and stay away from. Here's what I'm looking at:

1995-2000 Cuddy
    20'-25'
    V8
    To be used primarily for fishing and family outings, occasional skiiing/wakeboarding.(freshwater, some cold weather)

The ones I've looked at so far ranged from $15K to $23K and included Four Winns, Chaparral, Monterey and Bayliner.

Any info one way or the other on manufacturers?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Dave,

Send Ryoken a PM, he knows quite a bit about boats.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ill just say this about Bayliners. If K-mart sold boats, they would sell Bayliners. I wouldnt run one if it was given to me.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

none of those are a highend manufacturer, Four Winns is the best of that bunch... Bilgeliners have improved in recent years, but still have quite a few issues.. if you want highend, get a Sea Ray.

for powertrain, i would try to get something Merc, including the drive... i would avoid OMC...

feel free to pm me for details :D

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just PMed you with some more ?'s and details. I totally agree on the Bayliner, as far as the Sea Ray, I am finding that they seem to jump from Bow Rider to Cabin or Day Cruiser and seem to skip the moderate Cuddy. This may just be that they don't have any used in my area, but the new 25' and up (which is what they have after a BR) is pushing me way up into the $50K plus range which definitely won't fly with the wifey.

I just want to keep in that $15-$20K range to keep the payment low (around $250)

Also a side question: Can I put a "kicker" type motor on the back of one of these or are you stuck with a trolling plate?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Also, as far as I remember all of these were Mercs, ranging from a 305 (in the 20") to a 454 (in the 24") possible exception is the Monterey.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can put a kicker on just about any boat. You use a bracket that you either raise and lower by hand, or if you get real fancy you can get a hydraulic one. They look like this:

[​IMG]

If you plan on using this for fishing, quite a bit of it, i would almost recomend looking for an older high quality fishing boat. Something like a late 80's-early 90's 20-24 foot Grady White walkarround. I will never go back to another boat with carpeting or without a self bailing cockpit, fiberglass self bailing cockpits are a Godsend. The only problem with these, is finding one in your area.

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I'll agree with a lot of what has been said so far, avoid the bayliner and I still wouldn't rank searay as an upscale boat. better than some but not great. four winns is descent. I've never dealt with buying one so I don't know how a bank will finance; but check out www.iboats.com do your homework really thouroughly and you'll be happy. As far as the drive is concerned OMC will be expensive to fix / maintain. Mercruiser is kind of the standard and parts are more readily available. Your not going to find a good fishing / family cuddy cabin combo so just decide what you really want and make do with it as the other.

there are some boat forums out there too. Those should help with your questions. they have a lot higher concentration of people that work at marinas. It's been a couple years since I was in the business.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, if I still lived on the Gulf I could find one no problem. If it was just for me for fishing I would be going for a much more fishing only oriented boat, but with the wife and kid pretty much on every trip I will need the little amenities. Besides, the roughest water I will likely see is Blue Mesa or Lake Powell so I'm no too concerned.

Usually for Blue Mesa the ideal is a nice cabin, camper cover and your downriggers and poles are outside the canvas while you hide out. Early spring and late fall are the best fishing and you can imagine what that's like on a Colorado mountain lake.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Again, I'm not necessarily looking for "upscale", just reliable. As far as the fish/cuddy combo goes out here it's mostly just a matter of adding downriggers and/or pole mounts and a fish finder, maybe a casting chair or two in the swim deck. Mostly it's just trolling on the big lakes.

I did check out iboats, very useful link, thank you.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we have a 20' bayliner capri with the 4.3l v-6 and a merc out drive, that thing is nice, we ski in it all the time, no problems with it, every time we pull the plug when we take it out no water comes out, i think its a pretty nice boat
    granted its no mastercraft, or sanger, but it pulls yu right out of the wanter and getts geat "milage" on the water with the v-6, i think it is 2001 but im not shure