Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on brands of equipment

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Derf00, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I would like to update the sound system in our '90 Jimmy. It is bone stock expecp the rear speakers have been replace w/ 4x10 Ecliplse. The whole thing sounds like hell. I am totally illiterate when it comes to knowing anything about brand names and which set-up to use.

I would like to put in a new cd changer, an amp, and new speakers. I have read enough of the posts to know what everyone thinks is crap, but what qualifies as good, will hold up to the stresses a 4x4 vehicle will put on it and is reasonably priced, or is there such a thing. I do not want a flashy high dollar system because my son drives the Jimmy to school and real good stuff has a way of disapearing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I personally like Rockford and Precision Power.

3. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, Pioneer makes the best CD Players and have very good sounding component speakers. If you are planning on putting subwoofers in, Rockford Fosgate is definately a good bet.

'87 Beast

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the combo i have in my truck is a claron am/fm/cd deck, 2 3.5 inch bostons up front, 2 6x9 claron in the back, 6 disc cd changer (wish i never got it...i never use it) Kicker ZR120 amp for mids and Highs, Arc Audio 2100 pushin 2 kicker comp. subs...it sounds great...but when i go 4x4ing i have to pull the arc and the subs out because i dont have em bolted down and they like to bounce around =-)

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

5. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

Check out www.sounddomain.com. you can find alot of info on system building, big or small, exspensive or on a budget. check that site out. personally i use CD Technologies for mids and highs and 2 AudioMobile Mass 2012s for subs with percision power and earthquake amps respectively. I absolutley love my setup, cd techs are one step above MB Quart and Focal, so they are a little pricey, but very worth it. oh ya, for a head unit I am running a clarion DRX9675z, also pretty pricey but worth it. For what you want i would recomend lookin at pioneer stuff, maybe kenwood, rockford fosgate, and JL audio, all great stuff at decent prices.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

6. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Some brands are good, but I see you're looking for durability and good sounding budget, well let me tell you what I got in my 1977 K5:
    I got for my main deck a Pioneer tape deck with 3 pairs of outputs (It's just a simple deck).
    CDX-5000 (50) disc CD changer mounted on the rear driver side of the truck. (You really don't need this much CDs just a 12 would do.)
    XTR-1250 amplifier which runs my 2 10"W6 JL-Audio speakers (Which are expensive) in the rear panels of the truck, {Don't worry about how I did it, you can get a brochure from anyone that carries JL-Audio speakers, they know how to do it.}
    2 Pioneer 6969 6x9 speakers in the doors with a modest Rockford Fostgate Amp under the rear chair.
    These are good brands:
    Pioneer - Small speakers and a good CD and Tape Decks
    Clarion - Also makes good decks
    MTX - Good subwoofers and Amps
    Orion - Very good Amps but also very expensive
    JL-Audio - The best in Subwoofers but can also cost alot
    Rockford Fostgate - Good amps like Orions but more compacted
    Best you get yourself a Crutchfield catalog, you can get more imformation off of some of the brands that I've listed here, you can find the catalog in car magazines.
    Good hunting
    Michael Wiley

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us

7. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

hey 77blazin just out of curiosity how much did you pay for you W6's........I just got 2 JL 12W6's for my 71 blazer, I payed 199 a pop for mine

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

This for the Blazer-Kid, My 10w6s went for $85.00 a piece, I got it off a sale and a discount for some old shite that I never use, I think it was MTX thunders in a box, you got 12w6s in yours, they are pretty good pounders and you're right, they do go for a sum of $200.00 a piece, Since now I'm thinking of getting 3 18w6s instead to replace the 10s I hope I don't blow up or shake my blazer to pieces..
    Laters
    Michael Wiley

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us