Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Advice On Fixing Some Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I have a gas smell when idleing no leaks that i could see, I was wondering what could be causing this. Im pretty sure that its coming from the exhaust. Could the carb be causing this it is a less than 2 year old edelbrock 1406 electric choke 600 iirc

I think I also have some valve chatter sounds like a tinking like something is rattling around and hitting intermitently but constantly if that makes sense. Its not the normal chatter it sounds like it might only be one thing causing this. What should I do ti fix this? Im at a loss if it isnt the valves because I took the oil pan off and looked for anything that could be the culprit and didnt see anything. The engine is faily new with less that 2000 miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated just want to get this fixed because its really bugging me and im afraid that it will cause more problems down the road.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Yes, I would be worried too, specially with a fresh engine. Carb could be over rich at idle ( Air/fuel screws on the front ) or float adjust or sticking, the accelerator pump seals go bad & fuel leaks out of the top. Is she fireing on all cyl's ? running smooth, any miss'es ? Did the fuel smell just happen all of a sudden after you changed anything ? Was the timing of the fuel smell related to when you first heard the rattle ? Hard to give advice on the rattle w/o being there.... use a stethascope or a long screwdriver with the handle up against your ear and probe around listening for the sound. Use caution leaning into that running engine bay. We need more info. Have you pulled any plugs ? they can tell a story.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

The carb is adjusted 2-1\2 turns each side. There is another screw on the throttle linkage for the choke not sure what to set that to though.

I havent seen any fuel leakage at all went over it thoroughly. The eiming is set at 14* iirc.

I think the fuel smell has been there since i put in the new engine.

I used a long tube to listen to everything and it sounds like its in two places.. on the right side of the block and on the front right side of the block.

If I only had some way to record the sound and get it on here, ive never heard this sound before.