Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on limiting my boys Play Station 2 useage. And a Poll.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtn. burb, Nov 21, 2004.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

It's out of control. My 3 oldest children, the boy's, are on PS 2 way too much, to the exclusion of doing stuff outside. Chores are ignored, bikes and sporting equipment are going unused. I have taken it away it a few times, due to fighting and bedroom brawling over who's turn it was, etc., but I need a better solution. I'm looking to limit time on it, not just take it away. Please vote and your comments are welcome.(The boys are ages 11, 9, and 7.)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Keep the games locked up. If they've completed their chores and home work then let em play for an hour or so. Any brawling and it gets shut off with no warnings.

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep the games locked up. If they've completed their chores and home work then let em play for an hour or so. Any brawling and it gets shut off with no warnings.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

word,let e'm know whose boss.or like i do if they don't listen the toys go /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i love my kids and it's not their fault that video games have taken over the world.BUT i'm not going to let them waste time on that crap all day.when i was little it was (it's nice out go outside). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What he said-worked on my boys (15 & 16)
    Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I haven't had video games since I was 10 years old or something. It surprises me kids these days don't grow out of it.

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Beat them. Take it away.

My kids do prety well with there video games. We actualy think of them as a reward they earn for good behavior so if weve had a crappy week they loose it for the weekend, seems to work well.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i say go take it right now and trowit in your car trunk and lock it up for as lond as it takes for them to relize the other things they have to do. two months or so the yet them use it a little, they will apreaceat it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

a litte /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifsome /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifa bit of /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif and finish it off with a BFH!!

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Put it in a box and mail it to me! That'll teach em! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't had video games since I was 10 years old or something. It surprises me kids these days don't grow out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thats what my mother says. I started gaming in 1979 on our old-school "6 switch" atari 2600 and still play games frequently to this day. For most people its just something to do when they are a kid, for others, its a way of life. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

anyway, to answer the original question, I think the best thing to do would be to allow game use friday and saturday only, and let it be known that if they screw up during the week, they are gonna lose the privilege for the following weekend. Alternatively, if their rooms are clean, chores are done etc when the weekend comes, you'll rent em a game or something.

j

13. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd better not let my wife read this, she might lock my games up

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

A kid to PS2 is like adults to the internet. Are you limited to every friday nite on the computer or a three day weekend out of every month on here.

My point is, dont get carried away with limiting them from it. Just stand up tell them how it is, chores /homework first. If your worried they are being warped by the PS2, then get your ass motivated and take them on a hike or fishing or camping or to a movie or to the library or to the mall or whatever your imagination can muster up.

I know it might sound out of line but them playing PS2 may actually be helping them develope into a smarter person. Reflexes, mathmatical equations, productive brain activity. Fishing takes about 2 brain cells while Twisted Metal X takes at least 10, hence more productive brain activity.

I don't know, whatever, I've got kids too and yes they drive me nuts too, but I drove my parents nuts, so whats the deal?

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Make them this deal

Read every alternate day, match play hours to reading hours

All hail the written word

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I understand the addiction. My wife just bought me a game called Killzone for the PS2, and I played for about 30 out of the last 72 hours. Only reason it wasn't more was because I had to watch the Broncos kick ass in New Orleans, and take care of my nephew for a day. Watch out! I like RJ's idea of reading hours for PS2 hours. Very good idea.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Make every chore a credit- Rake leaves, etc = Play time credit. Dishes= credit.

I wouldnt give credit for keeping their room clean though. That is a given- You dont get to use credits until your room is clean.

Riding your bike requires no credit. But your room still has to be clean.

This way, the room is always clean, chores are always done.

Even if the chores arent done, at least the rooms are clean and no video games played. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Good point.
    My kids watch all the vidio games they want.
    Untill they start to be annoying, then I send em out to play and I can play in peace.
    It's pretty simple around my house, If either me or my wife have to tell them to do any of the normal everyday things(chores) or have to tell them to do anything more than once then they just don't get to play it.
    Squabling while playing it will get it shut off immediately.
    Watching TV has the same rules.
    They can read all the books they want to though.

19. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Let's just hope your kids aren't like me... I hated the thought of changing the rules for using something when I was a kid... If I was in your boys' position, I'd much rather take an ass-whooping from dad, lose the privelage in question, and complain about the "unfairness" of it all rather than suck it up and clean my room or whatever if I wanted something that I already had /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

But I was/still am rather thick headed about some things /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make every chore a credit- Rake leaves, etc = Play time credit. Dishes= credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto this method, let them play on it after say their homework is done and chores are taken care of. Don't be a total nazi about it especially since it's getting dark so early, so maybe after dark and after dinner only for a certain amount of time.

my parents had this same problem with us but we cheated and found the remotes they took away, (too many games to take away)