Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on Rattle Snakes...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, May 29, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me how to "Safely" catch and transport a rattle snake? We have an unusual amount of rattle snakes showing up on our property and I really hate just killing them. Would like to know how to catch them and transport them to either another location or to someone who knows how to milk them for venom to be used for anti-venom. Also need to know who to contact for the anti-venom thing...

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you are forced to kill them , bury them after or yellowjackects will eat them an load up on their venom and sting you with the same results as being bit by the snake, or so I've heard....I used a pair of fireplace log tongs that I bent to get one in a cabin I was staying in, so something like that and a pillow case or plastic container... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When I was a Kid we used to use "Snake Sticks" They were a long stick usually broom handle or a tree branch about 5'-6' long. We would fabricate a wire loop on the end with a long strand hanging out run thru a eye hook that you hold on to . You hold on to the stick and long end of the wire. Then find a snake and poke it till they coil up. Slide the noose over its head and pull it tight. Not too tight or you will cut it in half. Then drop it in a NEW gunny sack(sometimes old gunny saks are dry rotted and can leak snakes /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) and tie it up with string. Just make sure there are no holes in it or you will have Buzz Worms all over your truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Just to be safe you can put sack and snake in a ice chest for transport.
    Dont know who to talk to about milking them. When we caught snakes we usually took them home, chopped their heads off and ate them. Yum deep fried Rattle snake is a true cullinary delight. We also taned the skins and hung them in our tree house. Ahhh the good ol days....... I mostly leave snakes alone now.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I would say call animal control, they should know of somene to catch move them. I know if we find a Gator theres people who come out and remove them. (had to call them before)

If you feel compelled to capure them yourself, which I dont recommend, grab them behind the head right at the base, so they cant turn and bite you. Remember a Rattle Snake can strike quite a distance and VERY fast.

Call someone that KNOWS how to catch them and let them handle it.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Thunder....reading your post remind me of the days as a kid when I lived in Hawthorne, NV. My brothers and I killed few rattlesnakes and skinned'em but never ate them. We didn't mess with them too much, most of our time was spent catching whiptails, leaopard lizards, scaley fence lizards, horny toads and zebratails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Id say unless your name is steve irwin leave it the hell alone.Not worth dying or getting paralyzed(sp?) over.Snakes can jump half the distance of their body from what ive heard.So if its a 6 ft snake it can jump 3.Any whoo just dont do it.Animal control or something will do it for free.

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

They make great chile. Taste like chicken. (Lived in Arizona for a few years.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

20 gauge? i would be more concerned with your safety than the humanity twords snakes. can you make your own anti venom???? i new that the pros can turn venom into medicine, but can it be done in the garage too?

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

You know, this might end up being an addition to the "Famous last words" thread. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. landsmasher

Well we are on 68 acres and have 4 dogs. The dogs are the main reason I kill them. My last dog got bit on the nose and it was not perty... She lived but it cost me $900... The animal control here are a bunch of wusses and I don't think the snake would hang around long enough for them to show up anyways. Maybe I'll become a snake charmer. I hope it's easier than charming women... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, this might end up being an addition to the "Famous last words" thread. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They make great chile. Taste like chicken

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why don't we just eat chicken! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i used to work in a zoo and play with the rattlers all the time.
    snake tongs. they are spendy but sounds like you should/could get a set and be worth it. safest way, best on the snake. and a pillow case sewed inside a burlap bag. tie it in a tight knot at the top holding the bag away from you.

in reality any tongs will work as long as they are long enough and no sharp edges. remember a snake can strike 2/3rds to 3/4's it body length. they can stand just over half thier lenght as well.
    be carefull.
    for transporting the pillow case inside a small rubbermaid trash can is good. a 5 gallon bucket works as well
    Grant

14. landsmasher

OK I'm gonna give it a shot. I was just sitting outside on my porch a few minutes ago and a big ol snake came sliding by me and towards my sleeping dog and I freaked and grabbed the dog and led her towards the truck and put her in it. Then I went back to the snake and found out it was just a nice looking (I think it's called a gardner snake or gopher snake) andyways I grabbed it and played with it for a bit till it calmed down and then took it out and let it go near the stream. It was about 34 to 36 inches long. Nice snake...

I'll let ya know when I catch my first rattle snake that I let live and transport. Will be looking up people to get in touch with about the venom milking thing...

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I would also suggest getting a snake bite kit if you don't already have one... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I would also suggest getting a snake bite kit if you don't already have one... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] i would second that for your safety please buy one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i use to catch them in my snake collecting days (red rattlers). As some have suggested, just make a "snake stick" and use this to pick them up and drop them in a large tall trash can, then tape the lid closed. Just don't leave them in there out in the heat for too long. I would not recommend grabbing them behind the head if your not used to handling snakes, since you could hurt them or not hold them tight enough.

I think its great that your looking to relocate them though instead of killing them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm with JakeSlim. We have almost exclusivly rattlesnakes where I live - and few species like rosy boa, king snakes and garter snakes. Used to have a few 6' Rattlers (and one 2' baby) (among others) as a pet for many years. First look up the species in your area and become familiar with their temperment. Most want nothing more to do with you than you do them. A forked stick is the easiest way to catch and bag them. I'm more familiar with rattlers because of the populatin explosion around here. Smaller ones are a bit more spastic and more dangerous. They are much more likey to strike if taunted first and frequently would allow capture on the first grab behind the head ( I wouldnt suggest this though unless you familiarize yourself fully with what your dealing with and take precautions). Larger rattlesnakes can be more intelligent than you'd think if seriously provoked so dont under estimate it capabilities.

Snake and Eggs for breakfast - what a gamey way to start the day!

19. landsmasher

mmmmMMMmmmm... Snake and eggs... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

or chicken fried snake.