Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on re-wiring electrical system...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jdoe, Jan 17, 2004.

1. jdoe

jdoe Registered Member

Basically what I want to do is tear out every existing wire in the truck and replace it with new wiring and connectors from bumper to bumper. Is there a kit made for this, or is this one of those do-it-yourself projects? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Painless wiring! Summit, Jegs, Just about any auto parts store can get one.
    Bill

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Painless wiring. But it Isn't a direct replacement. Are you planning on a custom interior? keeping options? power windows, locks, power rear window? non of these are in the painless kits.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I would recomend just going to a auto wrecking yard and looking for a suburban or service truck that likly is not molested yet.

I scord one for 17 bucks for my dad, in unreal shape and not a wire cut, I have seeen this many times in suburbans and old company trucks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep. It comes out in big pieces. I've never messed with the one inside the cab, but the one for the engine, headlights, and rear tail lights all come out in one piece.

Was great when I pulled my cab off to do the frame swap. Unplug, swap cab over, run harnesses, plug back in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of installing one of the painless kits part #10101 and it is going very good. I also have full autometer guages. They do offer 18 curciut kit for chevys trucks i would think that would be a direct replacment. You may have to reuse some of your wire ends but they are ussually in good shape and if need be they can be bought at just about any parts store. The part # for the 18 curcuit kit is #10203.

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am in the middle of installing one of the painless kits part #10101 and it is going very good. I also have full autometer guages. They do offer 18 curciut kit for chevys trucks i would think that would be a direct replacment. You may have to reuse some of your wire ends but they are ussually in good shape and if need be they can be bought at just about any parts store. The part # for the 18 curcuit kit is #10203.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats the kit I have in my Jimmy! Great kit! Also have Autometers as well I love em!
    Bill