Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on removing rubber spring bushings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Oct 30, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Got my springs today...odd thing is the fronts dont have pre-installed bushings, however the rear springs did /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I ordered the greaseable bushings from ORD so now I guess I have to chisel those out on the rears /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    The factory rubber bushing consists of an inner steel sleeve, the rubber and a thin outer steel sleeve. The urethane bushings fit directly against the leaf spring so all 3 components of the factory bushing must be removed. There are several methods to removing factory rubber bushings. The safest is to use a small diameter drill bit to drill out the rubber around the inner sleeve until it is loose enough to be driven out. After it is out, the rest of the rubber can be "chunked" out with a chisel or screwdriver and the outer sleeve split and driven out. Install the new poly bushings with plenty of grease or anti-seize on the outside and inside. They should be a snug fit but shouldn’t need to be pressed in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody got a better method of removing the bushings than the above mentioned? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I made the mistake of trying to use a shop press to get mine out and all I did was end up getting the end of the press stuck in the bushing.

I ended up using an Oxy-Acet torch and burned them out.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

If you have access to a shop press you can just press them out. Piece of Cake!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I ended up drilling out the rubber with a drill bit. Just keep drilling holes until it falls out. After that I used a chisel and lots of BFH action to get the sleeves out. In my case, it was seized as one solid assembly, bolt to sleeve, sleeve to rubber, and rubber to outer sleeve. The outer sleeves took the longest to get out.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

every one i have done similar to the method you qouted above. although if you are having problems, add the lung and environment friendly method-

drill the rubber bushing in a few spots, then spray with PBBlaster or other flamable penetrating oil, then light on fire. gas would problaby work to, havent tried that yet. anyway, the oil will burn and make the rubber bushings brittle. after a few minutes and the flames go out, spray the bushing down again, most likely the center sleeve will slide right out. if the rubber is still good, you may have to do this to both sides.

you are going to ahve to chisel the outer sleeve. depending on the gap of the mainleaf, some i have seen you can get a sawzall blade in the gap to cut the sleeve so it will chisel out easily.

good luck, its "real" enjoyable

6. 88jimmy4x4

I knew you guys were gonna say that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It just pisses me off cause these are brand new and the fronts are empty but the rears have the rubber bushings. I guess I will just drill/chisel/sawzall etc....looks like Im gonna have fun tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I also have to do the factory rear shackles as well.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    good luck, its "real" enjoyable

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i just drilled holes all the way around and chunked the rubber out with a big flat screwdriver. Repeat on both sides of the spring until a BFH can pound whats left out.

real PITA, but it works. a torch would be even easier... but i dont have one and I dont wanna screw up the metal either when i botch the job. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

9. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ....then light on fire....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking....TORCH 'EM! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used an air chisel and they slid right out.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a hole saw to get mine out.

12. 88jimmy4x4

WooHoo...they came right out with only about 7 hits from the BFH /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif no drilling/chiseling or anything /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I hope the stock rear shackle bushings and front shackle frame bushings come out easy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lemme guess, are the springs bds? Mine came like that. Go figure.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

count ur blessings. when i took my 85s stock rubber bushings out, I chunked out a solid 50% of the rubber and they STILL wouldnt come out with a bfh. I pretty much had to completely destroy them to the point where there wasnt a chunk larger than kix cereal. then the things would come out. lol!!

j

15. 88jimmy4x4

Ya, I got lucky this time....we'll see how the lift install goes tomorrow...hopefully smooth /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Since yours are new they should be able to be pushed out with sockets and a C-clamp.

However, old ones blow donkeys in July. I've only found one thing that gets old ones out and that is fire. Cook 'em till they boil and then knock the sleeve out. Take a die grinder and get rid of the stuff left in the eye. One time, in greasemonkey camp... I got a S10's bushings out with a lighter and a can of carb cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The worst part is putting new ones in. I spent an hour and a half trying to get two eyes worth in with c-clamps and later a balljoint press. I didn't want to take the springs out of the truck. I ended up grinding on the new urethane (from Energy Suspension) to get them to fit in. And they still wanted to pop back out once I got them in. I got tired of monkeying around after the first one so I made my Dad do the other one while I just held stuff. Two pair of hands makes the job much nicer.