Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on set up Pics!!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sapper, Apr 3, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey i need some educated eyes to look at these photos and tell me whats good or bad, I just received my WD hitch and think its set up right. It will not drop down enough to let the trailer sit level without a load?? Any advice? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I'd get a longer drop drawbar, the part that slides into the hitch that the head with the ball bolts onto. That way you could get the trailer to sit level. Then I measure the front and rear bumpers of the truck without the trailer. Then load the trailer and hook up the ball. See how much the back bumper goes down from its unloaded height. Then start experimenting with how many links of chain you need to use on the WD setup. The ideal # of links will get both the front and rear bumpers of the tow vehicle to lower the same, or within 1/4" of each other. So if the rear bumper drops 2" and the front drops 1", then you will need to go another link or so lower on the chain of the WD bars. I hope this was what you were asking, and that I didn't confuse you.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

IMHO, the truck looks level and that's the most important issue. How much tension did you have on your WD setup using the 5th link?

Have you taken it for a test ride yet? Having the trailer totally level isn't that important as long as the unti rides, steers, and brakes well. Keep us posted.

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm still waiting for all of my straps to come in, hopefully it will be soon!

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Any updates?