Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on taking the rig off the streets...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 14, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Lately I've been getting a lot of unwanted attention from the local authorities over my truck's ride height, lack of front license plate, frame to ground clearance, etc etc etc. So I've come to the conclusion that I should take it off the streets.

Anyone ever do this? I don't want to have to comply with emissions, don't want to have plates, don't want to pay full coverage insurance, or be tailed by the popo's every time I decide I need to go to work! I will be using it ONLY in offroading areas, and trailering it there. No street use, except from the trailer to the park I'm at. Where do I start? Or should I just keep the thing legal?

I need some pointers here... let's here what others have done.

Thanks all,
    -Dan

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

is it indeed illegal---i mean is the popo right for pulling you over----if they are in th wrong i say kep it "legal" once you get another vehicl you tend to "forget" the truck---you wont really forget it in the literal sence but she wont be your main sqeeze

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I may be going the opposite direction than you since I just got rid of my tow rig and tralier. It sounds like your state laws are alor tighter than our here in Oklahoma. I would keep it street legal if you can. your gonna get looked at weird by the cops anywhere when your driving something out of the ordinary. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

But then I want to put 42's and hummer wheels, (adding 6" of tire = ~3" more lift) and all the miles of use... plus the new vehicle will be a tow vehicle that "shouldn't" take my attention away from the Blazer. Matter of fact, I think it might allow me to make more major trips with the Blazer without drinking fuel down with the 454, or causing SERIOUS tire wear from driving 700mi+ getting to Disney, OK! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really don't want to stop driving it, but I think the police around here have me marked now. Its not a good thing!

-Dan

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For instance (gotta love "federal" laws) a vehicle HAS to be licensed ("street legal") to operate on Forest Service roads. That rules out quads, dirt bikes, and of course, any un-street legal trucks. Thats on FS roads only though.

You'd have to get info on the ORV areas themselves, if you aren't on a "road" ever, how can it be illegal, unless the ORV areas say so? The only time you can really "get away with" anything legally, like letting a 3 year old drive, is on private property, which you had better have authority to be on if the police question you.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know about your state, but here in CALIFORNIA, we can register it as on off road only vehicle, you get a green sticker, you cannot drive it on the street, but on trails, forest service rds, etc... all the OHV areas basically. it's a five years registration much cheaper, and I they don't care about emissions or anything else.

7. dyeager535

Heres what GA has to say about it (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/orv_info.htm) :

"The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests operate under motor vehicle laws set by the State of Georgia. This means that anyone operating an off road vehicle on a Forest Service road (including dirt/gravel roads) must follow all State vehicle laws and must have a valid driver's license. An exception to this regulation is made on a few Forest Service roads specifically designated by the Forest Supervisor.

Off road vehicles must remain on designated roads, trails or in designated areas marked specifically for off road vehicle use. Some trails are restricted for a certain type of use such as only motorbikes or only four-wheel drive vehicles. These restrictions are set for safety reasons and to meet the special needs of each type of vehicle.

There are opportunities on the National Forests for off road vehicle users who do not have a valid driver's license. To ensure the driver's safety, these areas are specially designated and the driver must be accompanied by a licensed adult. Unlicensed vehicles may also be operated on certain trails and in designated areas, however, these vehicles should not be driven on any public or Forest Service road."

typical, I couldn't find info quickly on the other states from there : )

Of course, as you say, it must vary by state. WA is the same way, this I know. Kind of funny though, here, a quad isn't street legal, ever, so you are really screwed with one of those.

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I would try to keep the truck street legal as long as possible. You can go to www.truckworld.com They have a list of each states own lift laws. This should help you see if you really are too high already or if the cops are just picking on you. Also, try to mount that front plate. They just might lay off your case. It helped me not get singled out.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    IMO you will want to keep the rig (at a min) registered and licensed. Think about Disney- a short drive yes but it is on a public road. Think about Attica- longer drive and again it is a public road. Think about Potosi, Salem or anywhere else in MO...all national forest land which requires your vehicle to be registered and licensed....not necessarily street legal- (did I say that out loud??).

In IL, are their counties that do not require emissions? Do you have a friend/relative that lives there that you could register your vehicle at? You could live there part time you know. On the insurance, check with your agent...I just had my agent drop my policy to a "part time" vehicle- a vehicle driven less than 7500 miles annually. I also still carry comp & collision (full coverage). I did talk to my agent and she says keep all receipts and take pictures in case of theft.....they also give me "free" windshields when I need them.

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Keep it registered and insured. See if you can find a provider that has a low-mileage package. Just because you're not driving on the streets doesnt mean that things you could be held liable for (e.g. e brake gives and truck rolls down a hill) cannot happen. Think about that

11. dyeager535

On the insurance issue, when I was had two driveable vehicles, I was able to get that "recreational vehicle" discount.

Hopefully everyone can keep personal opinions aside, but I was using Geico, and the cost for one or two vehicles was the SAME as long as the one was "recreational". I had liability only on both of them, however, I'd imagine comprehensive or whatever you want, would be the same deal.

As with anything else, it ALWAYS pays to shop around for stuff like this. Even though I insure my house and truck through state farm now, it would STILL be cheaper to go back to Geico for the "recreational vehicle" discount if I get the other vehicle back up.