Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice on tranny cooler!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Aug 18, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

my truck is just about driveable.. but as of now I dont have a tranny cooler hooked up. I just have it looped back into the tranny. I will be driving it pretty soon but the amount of driving will be very limited, do you think this will pose a problem? I will just be driving it up and down the block and few times and then perhaps home (20 minutes).. There is a big grade that I have to go up but I will baby the truck. I didnt think it would be causing any problems but someone is trying to tell me i shouldnt even drive it down the block.

on to my next question, how have you all done your tranny coolers? I will have mine mounted in front of the radiator but im looking for a tight, clean & reliable installation of the cooler LINES. What I had going before I tore the truck down was just not acceptable.

Has anyone routed their lines up the passenger side frame rail? Its a little late for me to be running steel lines there now but I could get away with using some sort of high quality flexible lines.

if not that, then Ill be running steel lines under the truck, under the motor, like it came from the factory. whats a good source for lines? should I bend my own? Im open for any and all suggestions & advice..

thanks

mike

77 K25, th350

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt drive the truck with no cooler, period! Its not worth the chance of burning up the trans.
    I bought a B&M 24000 cooler for my truck. It comes with all the fitting and hoses needed to hook it into a radiator cooler but since you dont seem to have that, Id run braided stainless lines and then hook the cooler to them at the radiator.
    Without the radiator cooler, you may need to get a larger aftermarket cooler since the B&M is meant to work with your stock cooler.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ditto on the B&M 24000. Installation was as easy as reading the directions and turning a screwdriver.