Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on tune-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Hey guys, gonna change all my hoses, belts, and radiator on my '88. Are there any tips you could give me to help out? One of the stock heater hoses that goes to the top of the intake turns to metal piping the last 10" or so. Someone mentioned I could cutoff the stock hose where it joins the pipe with a hacksaw and clamp the new hose onto it.

Also, my tranny cooler is mounted to the front of the radiator, is this a bad setup? My brother in law said I should bolt the cooler to the sides of the grill support so it doesn't rub the radiator. He did this on his Sub...

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

do yourself a favor buy a 3 or 4 core radiator. you will never have to worry about an over hating problem again. as for the tranny cooler, ive seen guys run them on both sides and as long as they are fastend tightly they wont rub your radiator. and yes as long as you cut that pipe while its off your truck (no need to get metal shards all over your engine) you should be able to clamp it and it should be ok.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Use some tubing cutters. The cut will be cleaner and there will be a lot less metal filings. I would also recommend changing the quick connect that screws into the intake. This part is alluminum and they often rot out pretty quickly, I've seen several of them do it. My dad had to dig one out of a 92 Blazer and a 97 GMC and it wasnt too fun.

4. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Thanks for the advice... looks like I'll be investing in a tube cutter!

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You would be well enough to leave the heater hose to the intake alone, unless it needs replacement. Those things are super touchy and the fitting always breaks off in the intake. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. If it is in need of replacment, than you've got the right idea.