Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Advice.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, May 17, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

I recently picked up a 76 Blazer from a local member (awesome guy) anyway I need to figure out all the stuff I should replace on this baby.

So far I have my eyes on the Exhaust system, I have U-joints and a Tach as well as a few other toys, I need to know if there is anything I should definatly replace considering the age of the truck.

I have thought about replacing the suspension setup with a 3" EZ Ride (its got a 3" lift now) and adding power windows and keyless entry to it.

Any other ideas ?

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

When I bought my project truck, I didn't have enough $$$ to rebuild the engin right away, but i did the tranny, and the transfer case. If your not sure about the condition of all the drive train components, its a lot easier to rebuild them now when you have the time and $, then after you buy a buncha goodies. I just wish i knew what i know now, then, cause i would have rebuilt everything that spins before the goodies. If you think that they are in good shape, then i think you have the right ideas. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

1. all fluids
    2. rebuild brakes & repack bearings
    3. check/replace suspension components; install lift
    4. replace tires if they're bald
    5. give the engine a tune-up
    6. New battery w/ new batt cables

That's a good start. I agree with CamoK10, you need to make sure the drivetrain is in top condition before you start on all the little stuff. IMO - PW and keyless entry should be the last stuff you do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

I actually have confidence in the drivetrain it seems VERY solid, I will be doing a tune up and replacing all the fluids soon as well as other things. thx guys.