Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Corey 78K5, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I posted a thread here about a truck I found ('82 3/4 4x4 6.2) Well looks like Im getting it for dirt cheap. As I stated on the other thread I said that it had a striped starter bolt hole. Well upon further review there is a piece broke of the block not striped like the guy said. Anyways for $300 I still want to get it for my futer tow rig. So the question is can it be welded back on (he still has the broken piece) and if so can it be done with the engine in the truck? Or if I have to go to another engine all together will a gas engine bolt up to the tranny. I would like to keep the 6.2 but if I can't fix the block I don't have another one to replace it and 6.2's are not plentyfull around here.

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

to my knoledge motor blocks are cast if thats true it will be very expensive to have fixed and yes the block would have to be removed for the job. youd probly better off getting a new block at least thats my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Call around and price it, it still might be cheaper! Post this in the garage.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

give/sell me the engine if you find it cant be fixed /easily cheaply . it would be very difficult to do it on the truck , the shop i work at fixes crap like this all the time. -Andy

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, it can be repaired. Can it be done in the truck? I don't know.

I bought my 6.2L from a salvage yard. I didn't notice until half-way through the rebuild process that the outside starter bolt ear was broken off. I had the engine machine shop weld up and drill out a new ear. I just use a longer bolt with a nut on top. It would be better to have it tapped with threads, though. However, it's been holding for six, going on seven years and over 50,000 miles.

There is supposed to be a bracket that supports the front of the starter and is bolted to the block. When these are left off during repairs, the blocks suffer from broken bolts or worse.

Casey

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah I just did a PM with KidJethro who is a welder and he said to do it properly the block would need to be striped/cleaned and the go though a heating and cooling procedure. I'll try the longer bolt and extra bracket first. There is also another 6.2 with it, but I don't know whats up with that engine. Or I could go two other ways I have a 454 that I was gonna put in my Blazer that I could use or use the 350 thats in my Blazer now. Either way I plan on this thing being my tow rig so I would like to keep the fuel miser/torque friendly 6.2 if at all posible.