Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by santana, Jan 29, 2003.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

whats the difficulty level on swaping a chassis on a K5?
    I bent it in a front end collision. The rest of the K5 is cherry except for replacing entire front clip, door and transfer case. Is it worth it or should I get another one & swap the good parts to it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It will probably depend on how rusty everything is and if the tub has any hidden damage from the wreck. It is possible to do in a weekend with 2 or more guys working on it as I have been told around here (never did do that myself but asked about it).

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

no damage to the tub, I can get the frame for 250 bucks with nothing on it but the brake and gas lines.

4. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

my 86 jimmy body was pretty rotted but the frame was mint and it already had 3/4 ton axles custom bumpers, motor, tranny etc so i decided to do a body swap w/ the 85 blazer w/ the good body that i bought.(i figured it would be easier than swapping everthing off my 86 onto the 85. anyway it took 4 guys and a rented forklift the better part of a saturday to get the two bodies sitting on the opposite frames and the body mount bolts started in the one i intended to keep. probably another day by myself to get everything else hooked up. i never finished the other one just gave it away. overall it was not terribly difficult and actually alot of fun working w/ my buddies.