Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nc87k5, Feb 12, 2004.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I just replaced the rear brake pads on my wife's 98 S10 Blazer, it's 2wd, and has 4 wheel disk brakes with Anti-lock brakes. I was told to open the bleeder valve before compressing the brake caliper so there wouldn't be any back pressure on the system. I did that with both sides. The driver's side wouldn't compress far enough in to slide the caliper on freely with a small caliper press I have so I ended up tapping it on. The passenger side wouldn't even compress with my press so I got a medium size C clamp and was able to get it in and the caliper went on freely so I replaced the wheel. I went back to the driver's side and used the C clamp on it and got it to slide in where the caliper would go on freely also. After finishing, I drove home and the truck seemed to not have any power so I got on the gas a few time. When I got home, I got out and smelled something burning, and mentioned it to my wife and asked her to see if she notices it when she gets to work and call me. well, the brake calipers were not releasing so I took it to a mechanic and he said the calipers were froze up but he wasn't 100% sure since he doesn't know much about ABS's. any other suggestions as to what it may be? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

98 s-blazer
    i have a 99, currently in the body shop.. well my mom does

when you deal with brakes, always compress the caliper furthest from the master cylinder first, working closer to the master.. so you should have compressed the rr, then lr..

i always compress calipers with channellocks... and if the caliper is seized up, its seized up, replace them yourself..
    put the new calipers on, leave the bleeders open while you connect the lines that way they will gravity bleed some..

make sure your fluid level is full, and keep an eye on it while you bleed the brakes.. bleed the RR caliper by having your wife push down on the pedal while the bleeder is open, close the bleeder and have her release, do this a couple times, reopening after she releases, then on the 3rd time, leave it closed, repeat with the left side rear, then go back to the right rear, have her pump the pedal a few times and hold it down, crack the bleeder loose, close the bleeder after the pressure stops, then let her release slowly, dont forget to check fluid level..
    repeat the pump/hold 3 or 4 times, then go to the left rear and repeat the pump/hold, then pump/hold bleed the rf then lf a few times each..

it reads out long, but its very simple.. you're gonna need like a 5/16 line wrench for the bleeders, and a 10mm wrench for the caliper bolts..

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ouch, every rear disk brake system i have seen you never compress the caliper cups back in, you twist them back in due to the e-brake setup of the calipers, they twist out. I hope those are a different setup from what i have seen and you didn't destroy them in the process... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need to take that truck to a shop if you are not absolutely sure what you're doing. Brakes are not something you should be doing unless you're sure.

Does it have a parking brake inside the rear rotors, or is it part of the caliper?

BTW you should NOT be opening the hydraulic system to compress the calipers.

As said above if you have discs as part of the caliper instead of as a drum inside the brake rotor you need a special tool to twist the piston back in.

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Not all calipers turn in. The Ford Super Dutys are one example I can think of off the top of my head.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Not all calipers turn in. The Ford Super Dutys are one example I can think of off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably have a parking brake drum inside the rotor.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like i said every one i have seen, i haven't seen the Ford superduty brakes yet.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this type of brake in the Ford Exploders where the e-brake is located on an inner drum, kinda weird.

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

thanks for all the advice, but I figured I'd take it to the dealership and let them tell me what's wrong since it's hard and costly to just start replacing parts.

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this type of brake in the Ford Exploders where the e-brake is located on an inner drum, kinda weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeep cherokees are like this as well.
    just FYI
    Grant

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

FYI.. not ALL calipers with built in e-brakes turn in.. actually less do than you think.. and s-blazers have drum-in-hat rear e-brakes.. ie regular calipers with a mini drum brake inside..