Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advise on a Steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Southport, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Southport

Southport Newbie

The steering on my '87 has soom play. Doesn't appear to be any adjustment left in the steering box. Been looking around, junk yard wants $100-$125, auto parts wants $180 for a rebuilt. Can't decide which way to go. Or should I find a new one? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

tell the junk yard your going in for some bolts or something...toss it over the fence /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tell the junk yard your going in for some bolts or something...toss it over the fence /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'm with him /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. FYI Pep Girls has rebuilt boxes for $140

4. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

What is a good brand of steering box? I might need one too..

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Check your frame flex before you spend the money. Do you have the recommend frame brace from ORD? I have play and had my wife wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and you can see the frame twist(have had it welded once now time for weld in repair and brace) and I only have 31" so it is not just on trucks with lift and big tires that the frame can become cracked. Especially if your blazer was abused in it's former life.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im on my second box in 9 months. The rebuild I put in didnt work right either.

7. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

What do you mean didn't work right? still have play?