Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advise on converting automatic 1990 to a manual.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jun 24, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Well I've had it with these 700r4's. This is the 3rd one in one year in my suburban. This car is totally stock, no towing. These are new HP trannys from a place that is recomeneded by some here. My cooling system is Perfect and new. Anyways, when this one goes out (its leaking w/ only 1000 mi on her) i'm gonna try to convert to stick. So here are my inital concerns:
    Is the conversion legal in a 1990?
    What trannys will fit?
    Is there a way to place a clutch and pedal without jerry rigging?
    Will my NP241 work with a manual?
    How much will the parts cost?
    If it cant be done I'm gonna ditch my beast.
    Thanks.
    Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't see any reason it wouldn't be legal to swap in a manual tranny.
    The SM 465 with a 241 T-case was offered in K5's in 90 and 91 I believe, so it can be done with factory parts.

For the pedals you need to find a manual equipped parts truck (in a wreckers) and grab the entire pedal assembly, the clutch master cylinder etc. Grab anything that looks related to the maunal set-up. Ideally you would have the manual equipped truck next to yours for comparisons...

Personally I think you should be able to do the swap for less than the price of another 700R-4, but at least you'll never have to worry about it again. Unfortunately you'll lose overdrive with the SM 465. A NV4500 5 speed could be swapped in, its just as tough as the SM 465 but with an overdrive 5th gear. It can be an expensive swap, but it might be something to look into if overdrive is important to you.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I dont see why an SM465 wouldnt work, but since you already have the 241, try and locate an NV4500. That way you can keep your OD. It should also bolt up to your case since GM used the 241 behind they're 4500s. Use a hydraulic clutch setup if you want to avoid jerry rigging. A hydro setup is much easier to adapt. NV4500s aren't as cheap as the SM465, but you will be glad you put one in.</font color=blue>

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive done the conversion in a couple of other cars. The auto brake pedal shoul;d unbolt and a manual clutch and brake should bolt right into place. There is no reason it cant be done in a 90. The last one I did, I bought everything in a kit and it cost about $1600. If I can help with anything, feel free to send me a private message.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The pedal hangers under the dash for the auto and the manual trucks are different. The whole pedal hanger will need to be replaced...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tRustyK5 on 06/24/01 07:35 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can get trucks in 90 with a stick so i dont know how it would be not legal. look in your junk yards for a 90's silverado with a stick and take everything from it, but it is A LOT OF WORK. to do. lots of math.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I want to swap mine to an NV4500 one day too. What will have to be done with driveshafts? Will my NP 208 work? Will the clutch setup from a truck with an SM 465 work in my truck for an NV 4500?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles