Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need an alternator...what gm vehicle has high amp and fits my 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Feb 12, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

tried to use the search but...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    need a new alternator--
    so what can I tell the guy at auto parts store to look for that will be a good price and at minimum 80 amps? I need a specific year and make and engine size so the the guy can
    actually help me. If I tell him what I have, but need something else for it, they get confused. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

edit--higher amps for my application are also higher priced. I noticed that there are several other higher amps for other gm vehicles that are cheaper relative to
    those for my application....

its for my k5 with stock 350 brackets and long pump. Also, is it clockwise or counter clockwise(saw some caddy stuff online).

thanks as always,
    jakeslim(paul)

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmmm....i know i'm not orange but i used to be and will be again......well i guess i will just have to hassle the parts people.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just a suggestion, but you're going to have to tell people more than that you just have a 350 with a long water pump. V belt? Serpentine? Willing to modify?

If you get an alternator for a mid 80s truck with AC it will be 78 amps and have a v belt pulley. If you want more than that you're going to have to do a little more work or pay more money for a high amp alternator.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you want 130 amp, part # 7134-3 is a diesel alternater. With some EASY mods it will bolt into stock location. I can send you info on how to make it fit. I have a 160 amp version on my truck. reman price at Advanced auto is 79.00 (atleast here it is)

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

perfect, thats exactly the info i was seeking /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

wait, i don't think i can be pm'd since i am not orange anymore...I do think I will buy it though...did it take a bunch of mod or just a little?

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmm...that part # is not coming up online at partsamerica.com....what year truck is this for?

ok got the pm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just can't respond because i
    have not renewed /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If i can find this one, this
    pays for a new membership easily. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What kind of mods does it take to make that 130amp fit? Are the mods in just getting the alt. to bolt up, or do you need a harness from a diesel? Just curious.
    -Harrison

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Be cautious running diesel accessories on a gasoline engine. The RPM difference can kill internals quickly.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Be cautious running diesel accessories on a gasoline engine. The RPM difference can kill internals quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

That alternator is also used on gas engines.

Just for future reference, Diesel V8s tend to operate in similar RPM ranges to gas engines, just have lower redlines.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Tim do you proof read all of my posts or do we just keep similar hours on the board? (j/k)
    That diesel/gasoline accessory thing was news to me. I figured cause a dielsel cruises at about 1700 the alternator would be different than a motor crusing at 2400 so in both situations they could be at peak amps. I'll take your word for it though.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My truck cruised at 1400 RPM @ 65 when it was new, and it had a 305, 700R4, and 2.73 gears.

All Delco alternators use essentially the same bushings/bearings etc. anyway.

I proof read everyone's posts pertaining to parts. You guys would be shocked if you knew what fits what in the parts market. Alternators are a good one. You could probably take an alternator off a 95 Lumina and put it on an 89 K1500 if you clocked it correctly.

For GM anyway....Chrysler likes to use Jap alternators, which is yet another issue completely...

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys would be shocked if you knew what fits what in the parts market

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why i asked! i am off to find this bad boy and charge up the old k5

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Stock V belt brackets limit options.

14. bablazer73

got some pics of the alternater, and mounts.
    alternater front
    alternater rear shot
    mount modifications
    If you can see, On the lower hole on the upper mount, I eggshaped the hole 1/4". On the upper part that mount to intake manifold, I replaced the stock flat top bolt with a bolt with the stud on top. With the addition of 1 washer, It was raised enough to line up. On the mount itself, The adjustment slot had to be opened up so the larger 3/8 bolt would fit and belt could be adjusted.
    slightly different angle
    alternater mounted
    In this shot, You can see the stock wiring clipped right on.
    side shot of mounted alternater
    On this shot, you can also see there is enough space behind the alternater and the wires agian. Nothing was done to the lower mount. The original spacer was still used, but couldn't be bolted to the back of alternater. I have yet to trim the tab off!
    I went to Advanced auto and had them try and give me the original application, but they don't have "heavy truck parts" Advanced did have a 130 amp. That part # is P7137M-12. large case less amp. 70.99+core of 30.00 . I have a 160 amp alternater. The 7137 case can be increased to 160, but apparently there is no stock application for a 160 amp. This is something My local rebuilder did for me. My cost on the 160 amp was 100.00 cash/carry, no core. My stock V belt was reatained

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another option is to find a large case altenator off of a GM commercial vehicle or cadillac. They come factory stock at 100 amps and make almost full power at idle unlike many aftermarket "built" alts. that only produce mucho amps at higher RPM's. I just had a large case alt built for me about 1 month ago and it works great. It basically bolts in because it isn't much larger than the stock small case alt., just pull on the bracket to bend it up about 1/4" and thats it.

16. bablazer73

Yeah, I think that case # was 7134. My alt spun test at 163 amp at 5300 alt RPM. Roughly with gear reduction at 2,000 engine RPM, It's putting out almost full. And this alternater will work with on board welders. as apposed to the 300-500 dollar alternaters they said i needed!!

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Roughly with gear reduction at 2,000 engine RPM, It's putting out almost full.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the key to what Tim was pointing out. Gm will spin the accessories at whatever speed they need to be, based on the pulley sizes. Thats why there are so many different pulleys. Even if the diesel engine runs at a different RPM, if the alternator, and the electrical load, are both the same as on a gas engine, pulleys would be different to get the diesel alt. up to whatever RPM is necessary.

On the alt. pulley, a small difference (something like 1/4") in diameter increases the alternator RPM by something like 33% IIRC.