Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need an oil pan now...F*******!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by diesel4me, Dec 4, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Noticed my 6.2's oil pan has rotted enough to start weeping..:doah: :angry1: :frown1: -not at a good time,since I need it to plow my driveway(first snow of the season today too,luckily it was only an inch or so)...so NOW what do I do??..

I have not called any parts stores,but I bet it wont be as a easy as buying one for a small block or big block...I've never seen one for 6.2's listed in aftermarket catalogs..and I cant afford 100+ bucks for a GM one,IF they even sell them anymore..

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get one?..and who has changed one IN the truck??--Rene??..was it an "all day ballbuster" like it appears it will be to replace??..I'm NOT looking forward to this task AT ALL!.:(

Or is there something I can use to "fudge" it for a few months ??..I've used
    J-B Weld on a few leaky oil pans, with dissapointing results,and welding or brazing isn't really feasable while its still on the motor,even if I drain the oil--I've just about set other cars on fire that way trying to weld a patch on the oil pan,and mine is dented up anyway..pan looks like it was part of the Titanic,all crusty and bubbled up with rust..:mad: --was in nice shape 3 short years ago!..:doah:

I'm getting sick of this--my truck now needs a new master cylinder,both drag link ends and sleeve,and a laundry list of other odds and ends--now this!..I'm ready to sell the F'n thing in the "for sale" section,and use the money to move away from here,and go where it never snows..this SUCKS!..:mad:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say no more than a couple of hours to remove and fix right. The starter has to come out, as well as the oil filter...other than that everything is easy enough to get to.

Once it's out it should be easy enough to repair the rotted section, then re-install. Honestly, even if you found a pan in perfect shape for free you'd still have to do the re&re anyways. If I were you I'd grab a gasket set, drop the pan, repair it and reinstall.

Rene

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just parted out a 6.2L and have a good rust free oil pan. What is it worth to you? Parts like this don't rust out around here...

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

fwiw - i didn't have to pull the starter when i dropped my oil pan. can't remember about the filter, but i think i did drop the filter. makes sense, as you're doing an oil change anyway. i just got some real skinny sockets/extensions. :)

5. diesel4me

well,time to decide...

I'll have to do some looking in boneyards,and call some friends who might have a good pan locally..mine is dented enough so I dont think it would be worth welding the rusted spots, and re-installing it..it will rot away in one year here anyway,no matter what,even if I buy one brand new....:mad:

--The new pan I put on my 79 C10's 305 was already peeling the paint off and rusty,and I only installed it in the summer of '04--and I had painted it with several coats of black paint on top of its original finish..when I saw that, and some other rust damage already starting,I didn't feel so bad about selling it 3 months ago..I never drove it in the salt hardly at all too..:doah:

Kenny,I appreciate the offer,but before I go having you ship me yours, I'll see what my options are locally..so far Auto-Zone's web site has the cheapest price--about 100 bucks..but the SPI brand they sell has their headquarters in the town 5 miles away from me,so I might be able to get one cheaper if my friend calls them direct ,who has an account with them..might get lucky and find one on a junk motor at the scrap yard too,but I'm not holding my breath--most likely the pan will be dented or rotted, if I'm lucky enough to see a 6.2 in the pile..

Geeesh--you'd think enough oil and grease would leak out of a diesel to preserve the oil pan!:confused: ..I guess having oil leaks here is an advantage,and keeping your motor well sealed is a mistake around here..my 79 C10 was like brand new when I first got it,thanks to its original 250 six peuking oil out of its valve cover and blow-by from the breather..:tongue1: ..now I'm wishing my 82 had been "douched" with oil too..farking salt!:(

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I can do a lot better than $100... probably under $40 by the time I ship it. Main down side is it will take the better part of a week to get to you. I think $20 plus shipping would be a fair price for my time to ship it.

7. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

what about using gas tank sealer on it for temporary? that stuff works pretty well. screw the salt. that stuff sucks.

8. diesel4me

I'll be in touch if I need it!..

I'll get back to you Kenny,if I need it!..I appreciate the offer!..:D

I'll see what I can find locally first,its been 25 degrees here the past few days,and it snowed a bit monday..:( --I haven't had the ambition to go looking for a pan in my area yet..and I'll probably end up trying to patch it first,and see if I can get the winter out of my rotted one..not loking forward to changing the pan in this weather--I have several other issues with the truck too,this is just one of many things its busting my balls over..:doah: :crazy: