Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need an opinion on the front end

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72beater, Jul 1, 2003.

1. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

ok, I'm looking at a complete ball-joint/wheel bearing/hub/u joint ( and probably gears) on my D-44. Am I better off just getting 3/4 ton 44 or, gulp, a 60, and throwing that in? I am a LIGHT wheeler, sand and river beds at the most. Someone give me an opinion? I know I am looking at a grand for a 60 minimum, and I don't know how much for a solid 3/4T 44. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

For just sand, and river bed type offroading, I would say a 3/4 ton 44 would be good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Stay with the D44. I have beat the piss out of mine and it has done fine. Make sure you keep new Spicer u-joints in it, never put a locker in it, and keep the tires under 36" and you should be fine.

4. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

FWIW
    I would, and have, rebuild you existing D44. It should be good for another 30+ years. However, if you have the $$ to burn or are planning to put anything larger that 33s underneath, you can't go wrong by throwing something bullet-proof in the front.

I decide to put the cash toward a new soft top and AC.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

keep in mind a 3/4 ton 44 is no stronger than a 1/2 ton...3/4 uses a diffrent hub and bearings and diffrent clapiers and spindals....strength wise they use the same ball-joints shafts and gears...

6. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the good opinions!