Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ARB expert!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, Apr 17, 2005.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Ok, so after being giddy yesterday over getting my gears set right, I went back out today to install the air line for the ARB in my D60. After plumbing everything up, I decided to "bench test" the thing, so I dialed down the regulator on my garage air compresser and put about 95# of air into the ARB with the diff cover off. Air literally FLOWS out of the seal chamber and the locker seems to only engage momentarily. Looking at the drawings and thinking about it, I think it has to be a cut or rolled O-ring, maybe a scared inner face on the seal housing, or perhaps the shim pack isn't tight enough. I really don't believe the last one, my carrier bearing preload is on the tight side of the specs and it was a muther (you fill in the blank here) to get into the housing. Does anyone have any thoughts or similiar experiences that might help before I tear the whole thing back out? Thanks! Rich

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you put 95 psi into the ARB? im no expert, but i think they need like 40 psi to operate. i know you need a regulator to get it down to 40 psi when you run the ARB with onboard air like a york. something about damaging it comes to mind, but i have never owned a ARB, worked with a ARB no even wheeled with someone with an ARB, so....

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

According to the instructions for "connection to an alternate air source", it should supply a minimum of 85psi, no more than 105 psi. I shot for the middle.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

nah between 80-90 psi is about right..
    somewhere up around 100 psi it can blow out the orings. Because of this i got a constant 80psi regulator from mcmaster carr for around $20 and plumbed that inline before my arb solenoid.. so just in case i bump my powertank up to 120psi i have a idiot proof regulator inline that will kick it down to 80psi. and save my arb orings.
    Did you lubricate the orings when you installed them? you could have ripped one upon installation.

I'd check the copper line, when i installed mine and had to bend the copper line to route it, i bent it too much and cracked it. had to buy a new $35 piece to replace that cracked copper line. :crazy:

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Yep, lubed the o-rings with 90W. On my way out now to pull it apart, there's no way to fix it as it is. If I'm lucky the lock tite on the cap bolts hasn't set up yet :crazy:

6. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

After getting the thing apart and looking at it, I'm wondering if ARB sent the wrong size o-rings. I remember thinking they looked pretty small yesterday, and now that I'm looking for a leak I noticed there is NO resistance when sliding the seal housing into place. It actually has some play when installed. It's a very tiny amount of play, but it seems that if the o-rings were making contact to provide a sealing surface there would be NO play, and that I should feel some resistance from them when I install the housing. Guess this is stopped until tomorrow when I can make a phone call or two. Anyone else ever seen this? Rich

7. Ryan B.

i'm trying to remember..
    the orings get lubed, then slide onto the end of the carrier into the two grooves.
    in between those two grooves is a hole, which is the input for the air into the carrier.
    Then lube the spacer air collar (with the copper line brazed to it) and install that over the orings. before dropping the whole assembly into the housing.
    There is play between that air collar and the orings? :crazy:

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Yep. The o-rings BARELY extend over the top of the grooves. The seal housing will move a little when installed. I'm about 95% convinced at this point I have the wrongs size o-rings, maybe for a D44 carrier instead. I'll call ARB tomorrow and see what they have to say.

9. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Just looked at my info and discovered ARB is in Austrailia. Sooo maybe I'll call one of the local shops instead.

10. Ryan B.

I'd grab some calipers.
    Measure the OD of the orings vs. the ID of the air collar thing.
    and measure the ID of the orings vs. the OD of that groove in the carrier...
    then you can explain to the arb techs on the phone exactly whats wrong... and possibly compare measurements of orings they have?

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly doesnt the ARB us a special carrier bearing on the seal housing side of the carrier? If It does I would double check that side and make sure everything is kosher.

12. Ryan B.

Thats right, for the drivers side where the air comes in the carrier, they include a shorter width roller bearing, if you tried to use a standard one it wouldn't line up right. seems like it would be too wide to put in the housing that way so if the gears are set up its probably all assembled good.

13. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I believe its the same bearing but its a different race that isn't as deep. I looked at the alignment between the seal housing and the o-ring grooves and it seemed right. I'm at work now but I'll double check when I get home in the morning.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Woah! Chill bro, ARB North America is based here in Seattle

ARB 4x4 Accessories
    20 South Spokane Street
    Seattle WA 98134
    Tel: (206) 264 1669
    Fax: (206) 264 1670
    I think your on the right track with the collar not fitting tight against the o-rings. The boys will set you straight though just give them a call. :D

15. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Do you happen to have a number or website for them? All I can find is ARB Austrailia. I did find a few pics of ARB installs showing the o-rings on the web and even the D44 application o-rings are about 3 times the size of what they sent me. Talking to ARB directly and getting dimentions so I can check mine would be great! Thanks! Rich

16. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

OK, I should have read your entire post. Soooo I'm an idiot. Thanks!

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

No problem :D I'm an idiot too! Were in good company. Tim at ARB should steer you straight. ;)

18. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I got in touch with ARB today and talked to one of their tech service reps. I don't remember the guys name but he was very helpful. Turns out I was right (I don't get to say that very often) and my o-rings were WAY undersized, like almost a half an inch too small on the OD. He gave me the BS (British Standard) number which is a cross reference for o-rings for the correct o-rings for a 35 spline D60 ARB. I figured since alot of people here are running these things I'd post it up incase someone else had the same problem or had cut or leaking o-rings. It's 136V75. The o-ring material should be viton. I assume that's what the "V" in the number is for but it might be worth asking about specifically. Thanks again for all the help! Rich

19. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Glad you got it figured out. Now the hard part taking it apart and back together again. :thumb: