Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Audio Guru's Help plz!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Oct 1, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Need Audio Guru\'s Help plz!

I know its not the audio forum but I'm a Noob so take it easy on me.

Anyways, I recently bought this MA Audio 1600W 2 channel amp and a Visonik 15" 1400W sub. They sub has dual 6 ohm voice coils so I wanted to run them in paralell for a total load of 3ohm on the amp. The guy said the amp is 2 ohm stereo stable so its OK. Well I was reading the manual today and it said its 2 ohm stable but not in x-over mode. When you cross over it says the minimum load is 4ohm. So would I really blow up the amp if I ran it with a 3 ohm load? I really don't want to run dual 6 ohm load on each channel cause I won't get nearly as much power as I could (and thats the whole reason I bought the amp+sub!!!) What do you think??? Plz help audio gurus! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Re: Need Audio Guru\'s Help plz!

Wow, you lost me. Then i'm not very knowledgable about such things. I'm sure somebody on here can help you out. I have yet to own anything with a decent system.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think that if the amp is only 4 ohm stable you will likely destroy it with a 3 ohm load. It will get very hot.

You can try it but I can't think of any better way to fry an amp than to apply it to a load with insufficient impedence.

4. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

My electronics is a little rusty, but in a parralell-series
    circuit, if you add a resistor in series after the sub, and it is the right resistance and wattage, you should come up with 4 ohms.
    And,
    yes, it will take out your amp and possibly your sub.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I was just thinking and here's what I came up with:

Since my sub is rated at 700W RMS and the amp is rated at 1600w RMS at 4ohms I'm thinkin that the sub will probably prevent the amp from going up to its peak anyway. Meaning, the sub is the limiting factor in the chain and the amp should never have to reach its peak anyway.

So...I could hook it with a 3 ohm load and the sub would probably peak out much before the amp did. And I could monitor temps on the amp just to be sure. If it keeps shutting down from thermal overload then I could figure out another way to do it.

I am interested in the this resistor theory that you have Gorilla but I think it would take some serious thinking/searching to get exactly the right resistor that could hold up to all that power....

Any comments welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Just so you guys know what I'm talkin about, here is the link to the pics of my sub+amp. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Linky to Clicky

Anyways, I'm going to need a 1 ohm resistor but I need to know where I can get one that will handle alot of watts. Anyone have any ideas?

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

ttt

8. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your thinking is not bad on that wattage problem but the big thing is that the resistance of that speaker is still to low for your amp. even at only 700watts it will be pulling faster than your amp can provide and that heat will go up REAL fast. My buddy's van seat melted from a similar set up. It was a 2 ohm speaker on a 2 ohm "stable" amp. Turns out stable just meens it can work not will. If the amp is not "rated" lower than the speakers it will overheat. this is especially true with subs because unlike stereo speakers which put a steady draw on an amp those subs go from 0 to 700 watt draw in one solid hit. With that sub pulling faster than the amp can provide it will have problems with longevity. There is nothing wrong with a 6 ohm speaker, it will still be plenty loud and your amp will last forever!

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I still want that damn 1 ohm resistor!!!! Louder is better baby!

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I still want that damn 1 ohm resistor!!!! Louder is better baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think using a resistor in a circuit like that will sound good.

Louder is not better anyway and power isn't the only thing that creates thump. The box needs to be optimized to the space you have available, and the sub, otherwise it'll just sound like crap.

Audio isn't about finding the biggest amp and hooking it to the biggest subs you can find for maximum thump.

Oh yeah, and there is an audio forum on this board. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, and there is an audio forum on this board. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I be blue..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyways, I have researched on the sub and I know it needs between 2.5 and 3.5 cubic feet in a sealed box. I know it is not necessary to have fill but apparently fill will allow for crisper bass and lower frequencies. I am also aware that the box should be of 3/4" or thicker of something strong like MDF. I'm not just going into this with no info. I've been doin some reading too. I just want to make it perform to the best of its potential without wrecking it.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would think that a ported enclosure would be ideal for that much power and that size speaker, but if it's not rated for that than definitely go sealed.

I don't know what kind of music you listen to but I personally prefer a sealed box.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, and there is an audio forum on this board./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I be blue...../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then pay up so everyone else don't have to support your posting in the wrong forum.

[ QUOTE ]
    So would I really blow up the amp if I ran it with a 3 ohm load?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would not blow up right away. It would shut off or run hot, which would kill it over time.

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyways, I'm going to need a 1 ohm resistor but I need to know where I can get one that will handle alot of watts. Anyone have any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Resistors don't make noise, don't waste your power. It would be better to buy a 4 ohm SVC sub.

[ QUOTE ]
    I really don't want to run dual 6 ohm load on each channel

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a good idea to run a DVC sub wired to 2 channels. They like to be run mono. Many sub manufacturer's warranty will be void if the sub is ran stereo.

[ QUOTE ]
    I know it is not necessary to have fill but apparently fill will allow for crisper bass and lower frequencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that fill is commonly used for is to "trick" the box into thinking that it is larger than it really is. You could put a sub in a "smaller than required" air space if the box has fill in it because it will think that it is larger.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I throw out my opinion. I don't want too piss in your wheaties, but if you want a good sounding system, you need too start with quality components. Deal with what you for now, and save your pennys till you can buy some high quality subs and a high quality amp. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif BTW, I've seen some 300 watt subs that play louder and clearer then those 1600 watt subs. Big numbers are not always the better choice. Infact, alot of the crappy subs and amps are listed with lagre power numbers to promote sales to kids who don't know any better.

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've noticed a new thing in crutchfield where those crap amps are really cutting down thier rating along with the better manfuacturers too in an attempt to make power rating clearer

You don't need high ened "no ones ever heard of these 78 pound subs" components to be loud, unless youw ant to be stupid loud, in which case I'm going to stab you

I run maybe a $250 setup between amp box and subs and it's well defined if not earth shattering

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've noticed a new thing in crutchfield where those crap amps are really cutting down thier rating along with the better manfuacturers too in an attempt to make power rating clearer

You don't need high ened "no ones ever heard of these 78 pound subs" components to be loud, unless youw ant to be stupid loud, in which case I'm going to stab you

I run maybe a $250 setup between amp box and subs and it's well defined if not earth shattering

[/ QUOTE ] I like more then just loud, I like it clear, I don't like distortion. $250.00 setup between amp box and subs ??? My amp alone cost way more then that, and it's just a mono block class D amp used solely for the subs. Most quality subs will cost that $250.00 or more each. It's hard too go back too the lesser stereo equipment once you've had the high end stuff. I can hear the difference. At the momment, I'm run a single 12" Kicker L7 in the daily driver, and it's just isn't doing it for me. I don't know if a pair of them would or not. Right now I can't afford the Treo's I want, oh well, I'll just have too make do with what I have.

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I guess its bash me day for not having enough money to buy the most expensive stuff on the market and wanting to use what I have? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

become a member...its worth it, and ya won't have to worry about posting in the wrong forum.

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

AND GROUNDHWGS ARE THE BESTEST TIRES EVER BAR NONE YOU SIMPERING DOLTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're an audio snob Z3PR !

I'm sure to an audiophile it's worth it, but think rationally here, not everyone needs to hear the nuances of guitar bends in every single song

Speaking of which, why don't you have a custom build $120,000 rock buggy on custom tires and cryod mod axles? I mean, it's the best!

20. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, I throw out my opinion. I don't want too piss in your wheaties, but if you want a good sounding system, you need too start with quality components. Deal with what you for now, and save your pennys till you can buy some high quality subs and a high quality amp. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif BTW, I've seen some 300 watt subs that play louder and clearer then those 1600 watt subs. Big numbers are not always the better choice. Infact, alot of the crappy subs and amps are listed with lagre power numbers to promote sales to kids who don't know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have agree with this comment. You do get what you pay for when it comes to audio equipment. I've had both high and low end priced stuff, and in my opinion the high end has a better sound and better longevity (when it's all used properly). I've seen Punch 75 amps outperform those 1500 watt audiophonics things enough to know that when comes to stereos quality does make a huge difference. Just my two cents.

Kirk