Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need battery relocation help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Nov 6, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

got out some of the parts i have to relocate the battery in my k5. was looking at the battery cables, are 1 ga. wires. the ends are unfinished and i was wondering what kind of solder to use. i guess id need a torch to get the ends good and hot, but what is the preferred method?

melt the solder into the end and then put the cable in when hot, then crimp?

or crimp the cable end and then heat with torch and let solder melt into the end?

what do you use to crimp ends? dont mind buying another tool.

i plan on adding a master cutoff switch inside the cab, within reach of the driver. where do i get 1 ga. crimp ends?

heres what i have so far,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,

ryan

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

You should crimp the cables before you solder cos you won't be able to crimp after filling with solder.
    Use a flux-cored solder containing lead (Pb) as that 'runs' really well into the joint.
    Remember to slip a piece of heat-shrink insulation on to cable before you make up the ends if you want to protect the terminal from water, dirt and or shorting out.
    For crimping you can get a proper tool or use vise-grips. Or you can set the terminal into a 'v' block and lightly punch with a center-punch to make the crimp. Or squash a ball-bearing onto the terminal to create the crimp.
    The crimp doesnt have to be that good if you are going to solder it as well.
    An electrician who works on industrial wiring will probably be able to sell you some 1 ga. terminals.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got some at NAPA!

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can buy solder "pellets" that are particular to the cable size. These go into the lug b4 the cable. So you could insert pellet, insert cable, crimp, then heat to solder. The nice part about the pellets is that you don't have to worry about getting too much solder in the cable where it can make the cable brittle and cause a failure. Try waytekwire.com or delcity.net for the pellets.

IMHO you should use adhesive lined heat shrink ove rhte cable & lugs. Normal heat shrink is good for insulation, but not so great for moisture rejection.