Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need better front brakes!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Oct 29, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a Dana 44 up front and a 14 bolt in the rear with 35" tires. I am running stock replacement rotors and stock calipers. The addition of the 14 bolt helped the back tremendously due to the 13" drums, so I don't think disk conversion would help. When braking, the truck pulls to the right and there is bad pedal fade...it seems like it takes way longer to stop than it used to. It is definetly the front, I have bled the brakes plenty of times so I know there is no air in the lines. Is there any aftermarket kits that gives you better calipers or rotors or anything? Would steel braided lines help? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If it pulls to one side while braking it could be a bad brake hose. Stainless braided hoses will do nothing but look cool.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Stainless braided hoses will do nothing but look cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what info?

SS brake hoses aren't for everyone, but they do firm up the pedal feel. If it's a hose problem (flappers), going to stainless hoses will cure the problem. So will replacing the hoses with stock parts.

Another thing to look at is if the front calipers slide easily. Take the pads out and put the caliper back on w/o them. Try sliding the calipers back and forth along the caliper bolts. Regardless of whether they slide easily or not, reassemble the front brakes using dielectric silicone grease on the sliding surfaces.

A tight rear drum adjustment or mismatch in adjustment can make it pull too.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How does the brake feel? Firm?

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

The brakes feel firm, its just after the pedal is pushed it starts to stop hard, then lightens up and you have to push harder and harder. It feels like a line problem. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That sounds accurate to me as well.

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The taller the tire, the harder the brakes need to work. With 35" tires, it'll never stop like it did when stock. I stepped up to a D60 front in my Burb just for the larger brakes! After making sure the rest of your brake system is in good shape (master, calipers, rotors, hoses) spend the money for a set of EGR front pads. They're about $200 a set, but they make a difference. 1 800 468-2279

Good Luck,

Eric M.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The brakes feel firm, its just after the pedal is pushed it starts to stop hard, then lightens up and you have to push harder and harder. It feels like a line problem. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Check for leak down on the brake booster, or faulty MC. I'd lean towards the MC personally.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My vote is for a sticky caliper or a brake line that has collapsed internally. Make sure everything moves smoothly on the caliper, opposite of the side it pulls to (that side works good). If everything is OK, change the lines.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the stock brakes are pretty large for small tires
    you need to fix what you have not waste $ on aftermarket bling unless it is replacing a faulty part