Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need better headlights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Nov 30, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

My headlights suck! Tonight I could barly tell if they on. I need some new ones. Any good brands I should look for? Should I just go to the Autozone and pick up some replacements? also is it possible to put some HID lights in there?

lmk
    Nick

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I just put some Hella ralleye 1000's in mine, for the same reason. Helped a lot. You can put hid's in too, just pricey. Some company (hella I think) just came out with lights that turn when you turn, if ya wanna get real serious about it /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

3. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

u put the hellas in inplace of ur headlights??

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Yea, for us "older" guys, Hella maks lense replacements so we ca use H4 bulbs. I went with cheapos 1st and really regreted it. Baxters (store) was kind enough to let me exchange cheapos for Hellas, and I also went with Piia's 120/150 watt bulbs. Could'nt be happier /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, HID systems run 3-400 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My advice is to put in H4 inserts and have you put in thicker wires and a relay

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Where can I get these Hella lense's and the H4 bulbs?

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I've got the Auto Optiks set on mine with a H7 bulb and I love em, the only problem is moisture in the light, but one of these days I'll quit being lazy and put a gasket on the bulb.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Check hella's website or 4WPW. Also, this link gives a little comparison, including prices (Hella's website also has a cool comparison thingy for halogen and xenon driving and fog): hella lights I have what they call on this page "Vision Plus".

10. silver

silver Registered Member

are the h4's those european lights?

Grant

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the hella's with the h7's are great. the hid's are hard to get for less than $700-800 thats for a sylvania set up. the hella lights come with standard bulbs, but you can get any wattage h7 you want. the beam pattern is totally perfect, like a straight line across a wall.
    Ryan

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

does anyone have any pictures of these on the truck/blazer and do they look stock till you pull the switch? Also can someone get me the part #'s it will be going in a 85-87 headlight frame(the little plastic part) but on a 84 truck
    Are these them?http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/heleurhal20h.html?AID=5656364&PID=998261 they say to use in Hi/Lo beam but if you have 4 headlights what do you do?

13. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What H7 bulb are you using. I have thought about upgrading. I have a 4 headlight system, and thought the ultra white or blue white would be ideal for the high beams(high speed good weather driving) and the gold-dichroic for the low(poor weather slower speeds), but according to Auto Optiks I am thinking backwards. From their web site: <font color="orange">
    .........under poor weather driving conditions, a light source having a lower color temperature is better. Gold-dichroic capsules have a special optical filter which lowers the color temperature of the light to approximately 2700K. This light is particularly well suited to high beam and fog/driving beam bulbs in combination with ultrawhite or clear bulbs for the low beam. </font color>
    <font color="black"> Any input? </font color>

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I went with Bosch E-Code Glass housings and PIAA Superwhite H4's in my Probe.

Anyone know where I can get Bosch E-Code(european) housings on-line?

The Hellas are nice, but the Bosch E-Codes put more light on the road and along the passenger side of the road. THey have a better beam pattern than the Hellas.

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I read that same thing on the Optika page. I'm still thinking Gold-dichroic capsules might work better for low beam. My theory is in my K5 the lights sit so high off the road that High beams are pretty much useless in (falling) snow. Low beams are the ones I'll be using in the white stuff.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I need pictures and part #'s and what what I understand the hella are for a single head light and I have dual head lights(4 total)