Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need brake help fast!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jan 19, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

While changing my brake pads and lines today I noticed that my left front brake rotor was loose. What causes this and how do I fix it ? Also, do I HAVE TO replace my inner axle seal when I remove the axle?

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

When you replace the pads on the front you should always have the rotor resurfaced to seat the pads correctly and to remove any glazing on the rotor. The reason your rotor is loose is b'cos the outer spindle nut came loose and the inner did the same. Inbetween those two nuts there is a washer with a pin in it. You need to remove your locking hub to get to these two nuts. The inner nut preloads your bearings, the pin washer keeps it in place and you crank on the outer nut to keep everything in place (I'm not sure of the torque settings). As far as the axle seal, if its exposed, why not replace it? They're only a few bucks. And you know the drill, if you could've replaced it, but didn't when you should've..... it'll leak!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

One correction to the above replie.
    Turning the roters every time brake pads are replaced is not needed. Only turn the roters if there is a brake roter problem, such as pulsation or deep grooves. Otherwize the above replie is perfect. I would also add, that this is a perfect time to repack the front wheel bearings with grease, and replace the wheel-bearing seal. (BTW) If the roter is loose, there is a pretty good chance that the spindal nut and/or the washer is damaged, possibly even the spindal. So be prepared.

Removeing the inner axle shaft is a-few steps further than what is needed to remove the brake roter. So I'm not sure why you want to replace the axle shaft seal that is inside the diff. Unless it is leaking, then you would have to remove the carrier too. Basicly, don't worry about the axle-shaft seal.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 01/19/02 07:49 PM.</FONT></P>