Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Cam Advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by getsome, Mar 8, 2000.

1. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to take my 350 4 bolt to the machine shop and I need some help in choosing a cam. The engine is going into my 84 K5 with a 700r4 and 4.11 gears with 35" BFG's. A "rv" cam is not option. It will be a fairly stock rebuild with .030 over pistons as the only real change. I'm looking around a 440-460 gross lift and a duration of 210-216 @ .050. If you've had good luck with the cam in your K5 350 please let me know. Thanks

Getsome

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well a mild cam with substantial low end performance is a comp cam 260. It has a nice sound to it I think it is like 112 degrees so your vaccuum will not suffer and drive ability is there. Its not a RV can. Im putting one in my .40 396 im building. It was toss up bewen a 260 or a 280. 280 was a bit wild.

3. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

The big blocks can stand a little bumpier cam then the small blocks. The bb's start around .500 for the gross lift for int and exh at a 1,500-4,500 rpm range. Thank you for bringing up the point about vacuum. I would like to have some left over while I have my foot in it. Thanks again.

Getsome

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

When you are selecting a cam, the first thing you must ask yourself is "what is the desired RPM range?" You should have a tachometer to make that decision. In my 79, my range is from 1500-4300rpm. I never go over that. So I wouldn't want a cam that has it's peak torque or horsepower above that. Also your rpm at cruising speeds (60mph or so) is important. Check out Crane Cams' Chevy selection page: http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/chevy6.htm.

I think a 210-216 cam is a good option if you like to floor it and hear a pair of Flowmasters shake the ground. I was thinking that one myself too. The only suggestion I have is that you change your cylinder heads too if you are going to upgrade that cam. I wouldn't chane one thing without changing the other.

I think the new Vortec heads are the best bang for the buck these days. It will make a big difference with that cam, and they are only $400 fully assembled. http://www.paceparts.com even has a drilled version that'll accept your non-vortec intake manifold.

I found this link in chevymania.com that'll show you how much of a difference the Vortec heads can make. http://www.shelby.net/mgervin/perfart.htm.
    I've never been so convinced by a magazine article as this one did.

If you have a milder(economy) foot, then you may want to go with a 204/214 setup or the 206/214 Comp Extreme 4x4, which is in between of Cranes 210/216 and 204/216.

I still haven't decided if 206/214 or 210/218 is the one I need, but I still don't have the bucks anyway, so I'll keep checking my tach every moment I can.

Hope this helps

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I used a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam. I can't remember the number, but its the one with .447/.454 lift and 212/218 duration. It kicks ass. The idle isn't lopey, and it makes good torque AND if you rev it beyond 4 grand everyonce in a while, you'll get good power there too. You might have to replace the valve springs if you use an X.E. cam...and I also used the roller tip rockers.

6. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

Just more #'s for ya', I've got a Comp Cams PN 12-210-2( I think they called it a #268 cam) in a .040 over 350, stock heads, Weiand intake and Edelbrock 600 CFM carb, TH350 trans and it will spin the 35" tire with 3.73 gears if I ask it to. I get about 9-12 MPG around town(depending on foot-to-pedal pressure) and 14-16 highway(depending on wind direction acting on the big box I call my Blazer).Cam specs are: 218 duration @.050 I&E, .470 lift I&E, 110 degree lobe separation, and 4 degree advance ground in. Also vacuum is no problem, usually about 17-18" at idle without any lope. hope this helps.

Blaze81

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a cool setup. How's the low-end torque? Does it sink you to your seat when you take off? (Don't you just love that feeling?) How high do you rev it up? 5000s maybe?

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

8. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information on the cams. I will admit that a good sounding Blazer should get any red blooded American's pulse going and the cam is the key. The heads sound great but I have new valves waiting for the heads after the machine shop. I have a ugly(to non Blazer owners) K5 and this will be a budget rebuild with very few thrills. I would be interested in knowing your reasons for going with the weiland intake and not the Edelbrock Performer. I have a Edelbrock intake and 600CFM Edelbrock 4bbl. I'll talk to someone at the machine shop and see what they think. Thanks again for the advice and the web sites.

Getsome