Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Cam Recommendations for 383 rebuild!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Mar 2, 2003.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am taking a class at the local college regarding 4 cycle gas engines. As part of it I am rebuilding an old 350 Chevy
    block. I am having the machine shop bore it out so I can make it a 383. I am looking for power and torque not high end speed.

Any cam recommedations???

Also, I am installing rebuilt heads.....should I go with roller arms are the basic OEM solid arms???

Any other recommedations from those that have done this are welcome!!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Call Comp or Crane cams and tell them what you're looking for and they will recommend something to you. Nothing like going right to the source since they test all their cams in different applications. They probably have some 383 specific applications. Go to their websites and find the phone number or e-mail them...that's what I'd do.
    For the rockers, the full-bearing ones require rebuilding and last about 15,000 miles from what I've heard before they need a rebuild. I'd go with the Nitro Steel ones sold by Comp Cams. Roller tips aren't gonna give you dramatic increases, so why spend all the extra money and time in rebuilds for them? I don't know, it's up to you, but on a DD, I'd just use the normal ones.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

1-800-cam-help is Comp Cams number.

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Call Elgin Cams. Hands down they are the best cam grinder out there period. www.elgincams.com

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That is the exact cam I have in my 388. I would recommend it!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The specks sounded good, so thats the one I'll get when the time comes. Plans are: 415 stroker kit, that cam, Pete Jackson gear drive, Melling Hi-Vol/Hi-Press oil pump, 8 qrt deep sump oil pan, Wieand Stealth intake manifold, ...ect. Might go to a set of modified Vortec heads, or some Dart 2's. Doug Thorley Headers, MSD 6AL ignition with the MSD Super HEI dist. But all that is in the future.

8. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I'd stay with a stock stamped steel rocker arm with either cam recomended, BUT. I'd use the Corvette "grooved" type pivots under the rocker arms and not the stock smooth ones. Come to think of it, on a flat tappet cam in a 383 in a truck, I'd get 8 1:6 ratio stamped steel rockers and stick them in the INTAKEs

I used a 08-411-8 hydrallic roller in a late one piece rear main block for my 383. Past engines of similar build tell me this makes excellent mid range, good idle (although just a little noticeable.) Works well in a heavy truck with 3.73's or 4.10's on 35's or so. Good flat torque curve (should be over 400 ft/Lbs from 2 grand up to 5 grand with a good head, dual plane intake. and small tube headers.) I'm partial to Comp's stuff. Always had good luck with them... Roller cams are just good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a cool motor! I'd shy away from the gear drive unless you really want the annoying whine. You will sound like you have a 6-71 blower. Double roller timing set will work just as well.
    I'd also avoid the high volume pump unless you are running loose tolerances that require the extra pressure/volume. A crank scraper and windage tray are cheap and easy ways to control oil windage and make more power.
    Just a few ideas.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a cool motor! I'd shy away from the gear drive unless you really want the annoying whine. You will sound like you have a 6-71 blower. Double roller timing set will work just as well.
    I'd also avoid the high volume pump unless you are running loose tolerances that require the extra pressure/volume. A crank scraper and windage tray are cheap and easy ways to control oil windage and make more power.
    Just a few ideas.

[/ QUOTE ] I do want that gear drive noise. Love that BLOWER sound. Love the way people look when they hear it. Had one in a Camaro, got all kinds of looks.