Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need cam specs for...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by edeslaur, Nov 19, 2000.

1. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Hi all,

Can anyone get cam specs for an 88 Police Caprice 350? It's a roller cam motor. I have been unable to get the specs on it from the local Chevy dealers.
    Having the specs would simplify tiuning my EFI for my truck now that this engine is in it.

TIA,

Eric D
    88 K30 Blazer

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Eric, is that a TPI motor? My engine builder in Clackamas might be able to hook you up with the correct chip or burner of the chip.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. edeslaur

I wish that it were since TPI tends to use a MAF rather than a MAP, so they're more friendly towards these types of mods. It's a TBI motor.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Interesting.........actually with the modern chip technology and the knowledge folks like my engine builder has (TPI God I call him!) Speed Density is now the "preferred" type instead of MAF. I originally had that on my truck (MAF) till I gave it to good old Dr. Frankenstein......he has been TPIing motors for years, has done apx 108 Jaguar V-8 conversions plus all the other cars/trucks and has an incredible grasp and understanding on what makes these things tick. My camshaft is a compucam 288 (not sure of the actual lift numbers, will be getting them shortly) but this thing is far from stock. With the 24 lb injectors, cam and other goodies, he estimates an easy 400 HP out of my motor.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. edeslaur

400 is a good start - what's this guy's name & #? I may need to talk to him. I've been considering swapping in a BB for mongo torque and with the current MPG, it would be worth it since my MPG would likely not drop.

Overall, though I shure would like more mileage.

I prefer speed density since it is more impervious to things like playing Captain Nemo with your truck. :-)

Eric D
    88 K30 Blazer

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

heres the info you wanted on the cam specs. police 87 and 88 are the same. they both had 8.2 to 1 compression, 4 barrels, and duration 194*int.- 202*ext. (my guess is this duration is @.050). the lift is .384" int.- .404" ext. 112* lobe separation. replacement pat number for crane cams is 104121.................js

7. edeslaur

JimmyDie6.2 - Thank you!

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

your welcome man.