Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need carb adjusting help or something

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jan 10, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so truck goes to inspection tomorrow.... so I have to do everything tonight...
    almost done too...
    I got my timing adjusted and took it for a spin... runs ok... banged out all the gears and when I went into 3rd (L-1-2-3) which is 1:1 it started to bogg a bit towards the end.. would that be a holley bowl emptying out or would that be a fuel filter? i know the fuel filter was changed recently by me... I have that glass one with the filters in it....
    or could it be the timing needs a small bump? Im going to leave it all alone as I feel it is minimal to mess with as right now the truck runs pretty good....

but looking for info for when I get back.. hopefully pass first try...

I went over all nuts and bolts on the front end as they jack the truck up and check....
    filled the truck up and put a can of Guaranteed to pass in. I did that last time when I failed emmissions and it got me to pass!!!!!

tonight I still have to adjust the drag link as my steering wheel is a tad off... like 30 degrees.... and find my power steering leak.... not sure where it is... I got a new pump that I may put on....

also I have a nasty chatter in the truck.. not sure what it is... .kinda like a groan... I have had this truck since 1989 and it has always done it.. but not this bad.... if I drive normal it is good but mash it and hammer hard it is like something is banging around....

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that groan might be u-joints. I know I desprately need to replace mine.

Also does your truck have as much power as it did in all the other gears?

3. RootBreaker

it had plenty of power in every gear... .even the last until it seemed the secondaries kicked in.. then started choking itself....

is weird as it was find through them all.. it was so out of wack prior to tonight where if you drove it light it was good through all gears and gradually rev it high.... but if you mashed it, it was fine until mid r's in every gear it stumbled.... now the stumbling is only in the last gear... my father said maybe just a bit more on the timing but I dont want to mess with it before inspection...

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Need more accellerator pump shot .

5. RootBreaker

is that the colored kit? accelerator pump cam?

if so I bought the kit.. as I have the truck avenger and the dreaded problem it always has had... the hessitation.... well I got the -2 and also bought the .35 nozzle and acc pump kit... everyone said to use the pink or red I forget..... as it is almost the biggest one but holley recommended the black one.. the biggest in the kit.... so it fixed most of the problems... debating on fuel injection but dont want the huge cost and I dont drive the truck too much so maybe able to work with it...... we will see.... :crazy:

[​IMG]

6. Chevy305

I have the pink one on my Holley, but I don't know what # it's in. What # gives a bigger shot, 1,2, or 3?

7. RootBreaker

I dont know much about these things but what do you mean by # for bigger shot?
    1, 2, 3... where did you get those numbers? are you looking at the acc pumps and they have numbers? if so I tried the black one and used one hole and it was the wrong one as it pushed the cam the wrong way and I had 0 travel for the gas pedal......

8. Chevy305

look at the pink one in the picture. There are 3 different holes in it. And I want to know which hole will give the slightly bigger shot. Or will it just adjust the timing of the pump shot?

9. RootBreaker

I dont know but do know when I used one of the 2 holes on the black one I couldnt move it at all... so I had to use the other hole to get the cam to even work.....

10. Chevy305

well whatever... The only bog I have is upshifting when the engine is cold. Its perfectly fine when its warm, but I'd like it to be pretty close to perfect.

11. RootBreaker

maybe ill drop to the pink one.... and give that a try... wont be for a bit as I will be in pittsburgh mon-wed..... then gotta fix the stuff to pass inspection.. passed emmissions so dont have to take that part again...

just front mudflaps to put on and remove some lights.. like 5 on rollbar and 2 on front bumper.. and fix the coat hanger holding the exhaust... :crazy: