Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Carb buying tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DzrtRat67, Apr 5, 2003.

1. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

Present carb is shot. Need to get another.
    Present one is a Carter Quad #1705 9206
    If I get a used/rebuilt one, how do I know what numbers are compatible?
    FYI... This is for our "new" '79 K-5 with a 350 motor, not the '77 that ya'll have helped me out before with.
    yup...got two k-5's now! woo-hoo!
    Thanks!
    Rat

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

get the edelbrock quadrajet. excellent if your looking for a new one. kinda costly though you should here my truck start on a cold day NOW.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Jet Performance Products redoes Qjet for less then the Edelbrock Qjets. If and when I need a new carb I am getting a Jet Qjet carb. The Jet carbs are available in 3 stages of motor levels. You can find them on the Jet website or the Jegs website.

www.jetchip.com
    www.jegs.com

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I agree with Hoss, I have a Jet Q jet and it is the best carb I have ever run. Send them in a core and it will be about 300.00 or so

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would have to disagree i have had nothing but problems from my q jet and have switched to a carter 650cfm which is an exact replica of the edelbrock performer carb which both are made by weber anyways. I would stick with the carter. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I would have to disagree i have had nothing but problems from my q jet and have switched to a carter 650cfm which is an exact replica of the edelbrock performer carb which both are made by weber anyways. I would stick with the carter. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it's my turn to disagree. You have your chronology backwards. The Carter AFB was around for many, many years before Edelbrock started putting their name on it. And a properly set-up Q-jet is an outstanding performer. Great low end torque with the small primaries, and when the huge progressive secondaries open, it will flow far more than your Carter. If you were having problems with your Q-jet it obviously needed some work.

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

just throwing another hat into the ring, there is also the new holley truck avenger carb. but i would put my money on jet

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anybody know about that new Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS off road carb? Looks like their response to the Holley Truck Avenger.

9. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

Ok... update time.
    Got a rebuilt (Champion) Rochester Quad from Autozone for $180 with a $55 core. I dropped it off at the shop (they had already taken the Carter off to extract the broken idle-mixture screw (don't ask!)..... they never could get it out...never saw anything like it)
    anyway.... I dropped it off there, waiting for them to call and tell me to try emissions again.

Rat /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif