Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need carb help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trev1981, Apr 3, 2007.

1. trev1981

trev1981 Registered Member

I think i need a new carb on my 1984 blazer, its sputering and cutting out. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and it still sputers and cuts out and some times i have to floor it to even get it to excelorate. Do you think its the carb?

I have to get a carb that will smog(CA) so im thinking of a edelbrock 1400 but it says it is only smog legel on a pre 80 i think. anyone in cali using one on a 81 or newer?
    Or should i just get a rebuilt Q-jet

2. trev1981

oh and does the edelbrock bolt rite up inplace oh the q-jet?

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The Edelbrock will need an adapter to bolt onto your intake manifold.

start by replacing the fuel filter, but if that doesn't fix it I say either rebuild the Q-jet yourself or get a rebuilt one.

4. trev1981

ya i changed the fuel filter, forgot to post it

5. trev1981

I went to the parts store and the guy told me to try and change the fuel pump. So i did and no change. is there anything else it could be besides the carb?

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

could be a plugged cat...

Also if it is the carb, that doesn't mean that it needs a new carb right away, who knows maybe all thats needed is a simple adjustment. Have you checked your timing?

7. trev1981

Well the cats new so thats not it.

i just had it smoged 2 months ago and i saw the guy set the timing before he put it on the rollers, but maybe he timed it wrong. I didn't really have much time to drive it before i had it smoged because i had just bought it that day and it had been sitting for 3 years.

8. Chevy305

So it was sitting for 3 years?

Since you got it running again has it always done this?
    Also was there gas in it when you started it?

Sounds like to me that you probably just have a lot of gum and varish and crap built up in the carb from sitting for so long. Most likely all you need is a carb rebuild...

9. trev1981

Ya thats what im hoping.

Well i just droped it off at the shop to have it looked at (don't have the time to deal with it Work has been getting pretty demanding latley so no time to do it my self, i need it to run ok, its my daily driver.) the guy told me its a federal truck and not a CA truck I guess that is a problem because the 84's have a little computer in them but the CA and federal's are different. The CA comp is more complex and does more, BUT!!! it has a diagnostic port on it. The federal does not, which is a problem. He said they have had these trucks in there in the past and that they can be a real ploblem to fix because there is no diagnostic system in the truck, and if there is a computer problem they wont be able to find it and they don't make them anymore. Now for you guys in states that don't have to smog your trucks thats no problem because you just have to work around the computer. but in CA you have to use the comp to pass smog. he thinks it might be the comp because i told him sometime the truck runs great and sometimes its runs like sh*t.

10. trev1981

i hate sitting at home waiting for the shop to call and let you know if your BABY will be ok.

11. Chevy305

I know that feeling all to well...

I'm sure any mechanics that have done over-night work on my truck regret it because I call about every hour to see how the truck is. :D

12. trev1981

i just picked it up and there is no change, the timed it and adjusted the carb(both were out of adj.).he says it has to do with the computer. Does anyone know what the computer controls.