Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need CB help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, scenario:

I have a realistic CB & cheap Radio Shack magnet mount antenna. I am getting engine noise (goes up and down with engine RPM) in my radio. I have it powered to a keyed source power wire on the fuse panel.

Why?

Possible problems are cheap antenna, bad positive power source (in terms of choice), MSD ignition, and ???

I just hooked up another CB to a power port hookup in my truck and it has the same problem with a different source of power and it is not a keyed source, it is always powered. Same antenna and same MSD though.

When the antenna isn't plugged in the radio has nothing registering on the display. When I plug the antenna in it picks up the engine noise. So I am think it is a cheap antenna in combonation with the MSD. Am I right and what are your thoughts? Thanks

Harley

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say it's get the eng. noise from where your getting your power from try right from the battery or you mite have to get a filter for it. your CB mite have a noise button but if it's really cheep it mite not. even with that you mite have to use a filter.

Eric

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd guess your problem is in the coax. I'd recomened a new coax that is heavely shielded. Ofcorse that means a different antenna then.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you already know what the real problem is. The antenna is picking up the noise not the power lines so it's a little trickier to fix It's your ignition most likely. The msd ignitions are known for creating a lot of rf noise. a few things you can try are...

1. Repostition the antenna as far away from the noise source as possible.

2. Replace the coax as z3pr suggested with coax that has better shielding.

3. Try coiling up the coax close to the radio with about 3 turns about 6 inches wide.

4 Replace your coil and sparkplug wires with better RF suppressing characteristics.

5. Check with MSD for ways to clean up the ignition.

6. Replace the MSD with a crappy stock ignition.

7. Deal with the noise.

8. Toss the radio out the window while going 70MPH down the interstate while cussing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck.

5. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

My dad says there's something that you can put on your alternator to eliminate that problem. Not sure of the name of it. Anyone know??

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

could it be a noise filter? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

That's what it is but I coulda' sworn he had a name for it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Thanks,

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a capacitor. Putting one between the output of the alternator and ground will filter out any whine created by the alternator. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ended up getting a new antenna and a new CB. I bought a Wilson 1000 & a Uniden CB. Old CB wasn't putting out full power and the old antenna just sucked.

I talked to the guy at the local CB shop and he said that all my RF is coming from my MSD ignition box and my MSD wires. He said there is nothing I can do about it, that the RF is picked up out of the air by the antenna. He said that I will just have to deal with the engine noise.

What is the general range on a combo like I have? I know that the RF is hurting my receiving some, but what is the rough guestimate on range from a Wilson 1000 & a Uniden Pro 520 XL? Thanks

Harley