Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need computer guru help "outlook" problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stallion85, Feb 3, 2007.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I recently installed Ypop which allows my Yahoo mail to be extracted to my outlook program. Everything works fine, except that when my wife logs on to her profile it does not bring in all the emails. I can email from her account and recieve those emails, but they will not show up when I go to my profile and send/recieve mail.

I know it has something to do with the pst file, but I cannot find a way for us to share the same file. I am using Office 2000 professional.

If any of you guys know how to fix this, hook a brother up:D

Thanks,

2. stallion85

3. gnihcraes

gnihcraes Registered Member

outlook or outlook express? if using outlook - then each profile will need the same settings - each profile pointing to the same PST file. Each profile will need the same settings for ypop and so on - which ever one is working - duplicate the settings on the other profile.

hope this helps...

4. stallion85

It is for outlook. Where in Outlook can I go to find where the PST file is?

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

its in the profile settings of outlook (start, control panel, mail) But you have been warned THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA WHATSOEVER!

don't believe me, come tell me when your .pst gets corrupted.

6. stallion85

I cannot find the word "mail" in the control panel.

7. CustomChevy

*shrug* ... make sure you are on classic view on the control panel?

8. stallion85

Cool, I will try that. Thanks!

9. CustomChevy

i just wanna say one more time before i somehow get blaimed for this (it happens all the time @ work)

WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO TRY TO DO IS A REALL REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA. YOU WILL OVERTIME CORRUPT THE PST FILE AND YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MAIL!!!

10. stallion85

What alternative would you suggest?

11. stallion85

I reconfigured my server settings to leave the emails on yahoo's web site. My wife can just go to the web page to check her email and I can still use Outlook.

12. CustomChevy

:waytogo:

also if its set to leave a copy on server (and remove when its deleted from deleted items, you can setup the ypop account in another outlook on a new profile and get all the same mail there.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Is this because of something particular to Yahoo or Outlook, i.e., will this happen with any web email forwarding option with Outlook?? As an note, I'm on Outlook Express with mail forwarding from 2 paid accounts at mail.com, never had any problem getting email or corruption, so curious about this.

14. CustomChevy

its an outlook thing.

a .pst (outlook data file) is not a txt type file like OE .dbf's its a binary encoded database file of your email, calinder, memos, notes, contacts. the problem is that sometimes when outlook closes your pst its not closed properly (ie ur sending or recieving when outlook closes, or any number of odd events). In this case, if his wife were to login to outlook next insted of him insted of the database resuming itself, it frags itself. Recoverable, most of the time, but annoying.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've never seen a PST corruption until it gets over 2gb, I wouldn't worry too terribly about it.
    You can also make it so you both share the same outlook config, change the security so when you open outlook, it prompts you for credentials instead of just opening. The PST is probably easier, just remember to periodically back it up, and that can be as simple as closing outlook, rebooting, and copying the PST to another folder.

You can create a new pst by opening outlook, clicking file->New->Outlook Data File (or personal folders file).
    Select a location and name for it. I usually keep them on my D: drive in a folder called "Mail", then name them by year, and start a new one every year.
    Then in the Mail setup (I think it's Tools->Options or something similar from within outlook), set it up to deliver new mail to a pst file instead of the mailbox. Then set your wife's outlook profile up the same way and you're good to go.
    Back up the PST like once a week and you'll be fine with it. I've been burdened with PST's in a corp evironment for years. I hate them, mostly because they encourage users to save every dang little piece of stupid mail...

16. CustomChevy

I feel your pain man, trust me. Fortunatly Exchange took care of the .pst as it were ... but man let me tell you recovering an exchange databse will make you pray for the wonderful cut and paste method with a pst backup.

As for the 2gb thing, that does it also ... But I can point you to 2 or 3 people whom i've saved pst's for with various tools for really odd reasons, one was doing exactly what stallion was gunna do. 2 profiles (2 different windows logins using the same .pst).

17. stallion85

Well to keep things simple, my wife is just happy with looking at it through the yahoo web page. I like Outlook cause that is what I use at work and it is easy for me to use.....worked out good.

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you.

19. CustomChevy

np

for anyone who might have odd tech questions, my pm box is open and i'll answer to the best of my skills.