Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need CV driveshaft with 6" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Apr 26, 2002.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Need CV driveshaft with 6\" lift?

Hi again guys, I'm wondering if I'd need new driveshafts built with a CV joint for the rear when I do my 6" lift. I'm planning to use a 6 degree shim on the rear axle to take some angle off the rear U joint, but I'm not sure about dropping the t-case because I think I read that people had front driveshaft binding problems after doing this. Also, anyone know about how long the driveshaft would be after a 6" lift, I'm going to try and get some rough estimates from some folks who make custom shafts to know how much to budget for them. Thanks!

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Need CV driveshaft with 6\" lift?

yes and budget around 400-450

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I've got 4 in shkl flp & the z rates = 5 in lift. The stock shaft worked ok but had a pritty good low speed vibe. I got a cv shaft from Arizona Driveline for 295.00 plus shipping and that took care of vibe and the length issue. Currently my transfer- case is spaced down an inch or so but I am going to shim the rr up a tad and take out the spacers. No binding in the front w/ the spacers...
    Jim

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have a rear driveshaft out of a 1986 Swb truck. It has a slip yoke that will fit a NP208 and maybe a NP241? It is 41.5" from yoke to yoke. Maybe it will fit your truck with the 6" lift? Anyway, its for sale if this would work for you. I'm in Mich.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

With 5 1/2'' lift (shackle flip and block) The stock rear shaft was only 1/4'' or so too short. It will measure differently if you are using blocks or springs as opposed to the shackle flip. I would strongly recommend getting a c/v shaft, it is the next item on my to-do list and Dick's driveline www.mountaindriveline.com/pricelistmtn.htm quoted me at $240 for one. The length of the tube won't (or shouldn't) make any difference in price.

6. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I have 6" on my truck right now and lengthened my drivelines at that time, and now I am in the process of saving up for a cv driveshaft. I wish that I would have gone this route from the begining because with my t-case low enough to get rid of the vibrations I get something binding up when in reverse under load or backing up hill. So I am going to get a cv shaft and move my t-case back up to the stock position. Driveline Services quoted me $250 and that seems about the going rate. I hope this helps.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

After a 6" all spring lift I had a cv joint installed in my rear shaft, a very good investment, and I had the front drive shaft redone mainly because it was worn out. I did have to have the exhaust crossover moved slightly because the drive shaft would hit it when flexed.

8. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

I had a 6" lift on the 75 I had and had no problems at all, I didnt even lengthen the shaft. No vibs no problems at all.

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Most likely with a slip yoke you will need the cv shaft. In terms of the front... some people bind and some don't. If you bind usually you jusy grind the tabs off the cv joint up front. The big issue I think of up front is use of the shim and how large it is and the affect on handling

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think that you could get away without a CV, but you would be better off with it. Why pay to lengthen the rear shaft when you could spend a little more for a CV and keep your factory shaft for a spare. If you are ever gonna upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton rearend, you should go ahead and get a shaft with 1350 yokes. You can run bastard joints on it with your 1/2 ton axles. I strongly reccomend Arizona Driveline for quality, price, and knowledge. I talked to Oscar and he knew his business.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a CV shaft from High Angle Driveline.

J