Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need D60 advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKSRULE, Mar 16, 2004.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

OK the Dodge D60 thread got me to thinking.
    If I understand correctly the Dodge D60 is shorter on the short side than the GM D60 and the GM D60 is shorter on the long side than the Dodge.....stay with me here...

If that is correct then could I take a Dodge D60 and put a GM D60 long side tube and axle in it? This would be one way to build a narrowed D60. I am looking to build one for my Jeep and that may be cheaper than buying one or having one custom done.

Anyone think this would work? Any suggestions on doing it? Anyone know what the difference in lengths of each side are between the two so I could know how much more narrow it would be?

Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Suggestion--leave it full width. If you're putting a '60 in the front of a jeep, it's certainly not for road use (you're really wanting to beat on it if you need an axle like that in a vehicle that light weight). The added strength will be there, and although you'll have some added width, I don't think it will be a problem with the narrow body.

Instead of spending all that money on messing with pulling axle tubes from the pumpkin, spend it on a locker, crossover, 35 spline stuff, slugs....things of that nature that you'll be shocked how expensive they are.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the 60.... but I run a Dodge D44 front.

On mine, the long inner axle will interchange (not exact - but close enough) with a Chevy 44, but the short side inner is nearly 2" shorter.

Point is.... I'm not sure the long side of the Chevy D60 is shorter than the Dodge.../forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marv

4. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I have a Jeep YJ running around 400 HP to the ground. It is kinda hard on the D30 that is in there so I was thinking of options. Maybe a full width axle with a smaller rim backspacing. Anyone know what the narrowest D60 is and what it came in?

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You can almost cover a 12.5 wide tire with the Warn 7" flares if using a stock GM D60 with stock backspacing Hummer rims. You can get steering arms that will clear the rims. The only problem is the hubs stick out and will take a beeting on the rocks but they seem to hold up well.