Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need designs/ideas for tralor being built

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sapper, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a shop on base that will build me a tralor for $1400, they want me to bring my truck buy to do all the measurments and get it started, what are some things to have them do to it that you guys have found worked real good?? Also my track width is 8'3" how wide and how long should i have them make it? TIA

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You might check with your states laws on legal trailer width, cause here is Oregon, trailers can't be any wider than 8 feet /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess all those 102" wide semis are breaking the law then.

4. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

well i dont know what your truck ways but i would start off making sure it had 5200 pound axles with springs to match with 16"steel wheels.i like things to be overkill than underkill proper tounge weight is critical ive always built my trailers with about 15%tounge weight the formula i use to figure this is pretty easy to do,take the total deck length you want to have, do not include the tounge so say you want a 16 foot trailer deck thats 192" divide by 2 thats 96" x 15% =14.4"now the center hanger where your center rocker rides needs to be 14.4"back from center of deck this will give you nice tounge weight. next you want your tounge to go back as far towards the front axle you can get for good strength now for the tounge from the front of your deck to the ball mount you want about 4 to 5 feet i prefer closer to 5 because i always run large storage boxes up front to hold towing gear.and 5 feet of tounge seems to make a good backing trailer also also lots of anchor points for tie downs.and i always run d-ring anchors attached to the floor there great for going from the axles to the floor using chain binders.hope this helps just my .02 cents any thing else just hollar. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Is there any forum that you don't try hard to prove you are a smartass /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I guess in all of your 19 years of life you memorized all of the state motor vehicle laws, right? FYI laws of interstate trucking and various state laws often conflict. Oregon most likely does limit trailer width to 8' but 102" tractor trailers run only interstates through the state and have limited access to state roads.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any forum that you don't try hard to prove you are a smartass

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't master my skills if I don't practice!

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

102 is the legal limit in most states. Check with your DMV just to be sure. My only suggestion would be to get the biggest axles you can afford, with brakes on both and at least a 5200lb suspension. Also, ask for a Bulldog coupler. It will last longer than the standard or Atwood style coupler. Don't forget about the brakeaway controller, and it might be a good idea to ask them to run the wiring in conduit too.

If you want some bling, go for LED taillights and marker lights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BIGJ