Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Diagnosis.... Help! =/

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Dec 4, 2004.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

OK, My 84 K10 is acting up again. I have a 305 in it, everything is stock with around 110,000 miles on the motor.

At first it would just idle rough, and I didnt think it was a big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Next it started "dieseling" (wont shut off).. The dieseling has gotten so bad that sometimes I have to wait like 20 seconds /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif....

Then to add to all of that... I drove it tonight, It ran fine for about a mile, and then after a mile if I pushed the gas pedal more than a 1/4 of an inch, the truck would completely BOG-out. No acceleration what-so-ever.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I drove it at about 10 mph, to my buddies, and then shut it off(5 sec. deiseling) and went inside to play some poker. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

At the end of the night I came out, probably 5 hours later. Truck started Immediately, and ran like a champion the whole way home (3 miles) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif... The only thing was that it dieseled for about 3 seconds once I got home....

So those are my problems, do any of you have a diagnosis, or ideas to help me fix my problems? Carb? Filter? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been given some ideas of what might be wrong with my truck, but none of them make sense to me. I have never worked on a truck, besides the suspension....

I need help on what and HOW to fix my problems. Again I am very new, and am very confused /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif.. Any help, or write-ups, or hands on HELP, would be SOOOO great.

Thanks for reading! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kind of sounds like a timing issue. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

did a simple search... look what i found /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    clicky
    kliky
    yep
    uh hu

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd look for some type of vacuum leak. Sounds like something is letting air into the intake.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Better do something about it soon--I've had a few motors jump the timing chain after they "dieseled"- /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif-your must be pretty lose if its got over 100,000 miles(if its never had a new timing chain yet). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. socal chevy

thanks for the info guys, but how do I check the timing, and how do I check the timing chain???

7. socal chevy

thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. socal chevy

PLEASE HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

here how I KILLED my insanely embarrasing dieseling problem a couple of years ago.....new intake(edelbrock) and a new(not rebuilt) edelbrock qjet. No issues period since then. NONE. Zilch. notha. Null.