Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need diagrams/suggestions for trimming...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 16, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Ok, I know I STILL haven't posted any pics of my new truck, but I need some help... I want to stuff some 255/85R16s under the wheel wells to replace the 265/75R16s that are under it now. This will take me from about 31.6" to 33.4" tall tires, and as far as I know, the 94 wheel wells aren't big enough to clear them. I intend to swap these taller, skinnier tires in without any lift, suspension or otherwise, so I need some assistance on WHERE and how to cut my fenders without ruining the crap out of my truck. I'll be using Bushwacker Flares I think, though I'm not quite sure how they will look on 10.5" wide tires as opposed to 33x12.5s... If I were doing the 285/75R16s, I know they wouldn't fit under the stock 'wells for sure, but would look better with the flares.

So really, four questions...

1. Where the hell can I buy 255/85R16s?

2. What brand of tires should I get?

3. Who has the best prices on fender flares?

4. How should I do the cutting so as to not f*ck up my truck?

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I would run BFG MT's, I think they run about $160 each. Cooper makes some in that size too, but harder to find. On stock 6.5" wide wheels you shouldn't have to do any trimming. If you do, it will be on the plastic air dam and inside of your bumper, and possibly on the inside of the rear edge of the fender. Mount em up and flex em, if they hit, trim em a little at a time with a sawzall or similar. Shouldn't need flares of any sort, in fact, unless you run cut-outs (which will look odd with narrow wheels and tires) you may end up having to trim the flares. Again, on stock wheels you shouldn't have to trim at all. If you go to a different wheel, you will have to trim quite a bit more. I ran 285's on stock wheels with no rubbing at all.

3. Dr. Morgenstern

Dr. Morgenstern Registered Member

Tecumseh, Ontario (across from Detroit, Mi)
    285's on stock wheels on 88 truck and 97 Tahoe. No rubbing whatsoever.