Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need diff protection?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 23, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just wanted to give kudos to Ron's Custom Shop (www.ronscustomshop.bigstep.com). I needed some diff protection for my new D60... and after searching the web for a while decided to order a standard rock guard from him. He takes Paypal, which is convenient, and the guard itself is very well made and super stout. Sorta like the rock ring in that it bolts to ALL of the diffs cover bolts, not just those on the bottom like some other guards. It arrived quickly vs UPS, and came with a light coat of primer so it wouldn't start rusting away before I get the chance to paint it.

As if all that wasnt enough, Ron is a purdy cool guy that actually answers his emails.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my good purchasing experience,

J

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

so post some pics already /forums/images/icons/smile.gif congrats /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. jekbrown

lol, digital cam is at my parents pad... diff guard is at my college pad (so the parents dont know about it!)... so I can't take a pic yet! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The link I posted has pics though... he hasn't changed the styling or anything. Mine looks exactly like the one on his site, save that its just primer gray and the one on the site is painted red.

http://www.ronscustomshop.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=4

At any rate, his prices are pretty much the same as 4xdoctor's etc... but like I said before, his guard's ring bolts on ALL the way around... just a better design IMO... and less than the avalanche stuff. The Avalanche Rock Ring is a great product... I'm just not rich enough to afford stuff like that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

btw, ron makes a rock-ring-esque diff cover too...

http://www.ronscustomshop.bigstep.com/generic21.html;$sessionid$HGYIJEYAAA2MEP5MFMKJPQR53QVSNPX0

as his shops name implies, he also does custom stuff, pretty much whatever ya need... if u had a hyrdo ram you wanted a mounting point for or whatever.

J

4. mudhog

the red one is cool but damn i want the yellow one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that's a pretty good price too. thanks for the link. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. jekbrown

yeah, the Extreme guard is purdy cool... still, I dont see how a rock could ever hit the top of the diff. I dont have high steer... so between the top of the guard that I got and the top of the diff cover is my Rockstomper Rock Rod. It's be pretty hard for a rock to hit the diff cover with the two of those in the way. Considering that, I figured I'd just save the $15-20 difference.

J

7. mudhog

i dont think a rock would hit that high very easy but ya never know i just like the way it looks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have his guards on the Mouse. Standard front and Extreme Rear. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif They are awsome.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the front.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

This is the version 4WPW locally sells...........$63 and comes in hammertone paint so you don't even need to paint it (unless you like it to stand out /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif )

10. jekbrown

yeppers, I've seen the 4wpw one... it is cheaper (due to shipping) but it doesnt go all the way 'round the diff cover like Rons do. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That's what the Rock Rod is there for............. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I agree on the Rockrod protectin the top of the cover but I went for half of a dog dish for protectin the bottom and its holdin up quite well /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[​IMG]

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i have the 4WPW one too and what i don't like about it is that is made with hollow tubing instead of rod. one good hit with a rock and the guard is smashed flat.

it served its purpose... better to bash the guard then to bash the diff cover. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Hey, Ron just e-mailed me and wants to be a sponsor for the Blazer Bash. I think that says a lot for him and us. I like to buy from the ones that help us. Thanks for the offer Ron.

15. jekbrown

cool deal! didnt even think of asking him about that!

good point on the tube... Rons diff guards use solid bar stock... it aint gonna break, ever. Hell, I doubt you could even bend it before something else gave way. Ron sells a avalanche quality guard at the price of the cheapy 4wpw model... and he is willing to sponsor BB02. What more could we ask for!? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J