Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Differential Help FAST!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Feb 18, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ok. Im putting a lockright in the front of my K5's 10 bolt. Its almost ready to go but I have one problem. I took the ring gear off, and am now trying to get it back on. I have it bolted up and the bolts holding the ring gear torque at 80 ft lbs. The only problem is that they are reverse thread bolts (turning them right=loosening; turning them left=tightening). I guess they are like this since the ring gear spins, the bolts wont unthread themselves. Anyways, torque wrenches only register (click) when they are tightening. In order to tighten these bolts, I have to turn them left. The torque wrench doesnt measure torque this way. It only measures it when its turning in the tightening position, or right. So the question is, how do I get these bolts torqued to spec if torque wrenches only measure torque in the tightening position, and in order to tighten these bolts, the wrench must actually be in the loosening position? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Harrison

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Perhaps an old school bar scale type torque wrench will do the trick. It doesn't click, and you can use it in either direction.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine clicks and works both directions

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

as does my cheapy, my craftsman, and my snap-on torque wrenches

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For me, using a regular 3/8 ratchet with 78% strength/leverage applied, I put down about 82 foot/lbs. Your results may vary. Seriously, i'm with the other guys, buy a cheapo bar style if your really worried about it. I personally would have no problem just getting them really tight and forgetting about it.