Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need distributor advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Casey 86K5, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

pulled the cap off of my distributor today and found engine oil inside it. I am no expert but it looks to me like the distributor is in need of replacement, so my question is: i have a Mallory Unilite distributor and would like put it in place of the HEI. The unilite does not have a vacuum advance on it though, will this hurt performance any? I dont really have the money to buy a new HEI right now and was thinking that the unilite might give me better performance. any thoughts?
    thanks in advance!

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the Mallory but the HEIs have a mechanical and vacuum advance. I do know that you need both of these for the engine to work properly. My suggestion would be to clean the HEI very well and replace the badly worn parts. You should be able to get it in good shape for around $50 if memory serves.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the mallory unilte has a mechanical advance under the photocell. I highly recommend vacuum advance on a street driven truck. not having it will hurt low rpm perfprmance and overall drivability. also be forwarned, the photo cell in these are very sensitive to voltage spikes of anykind. they are about 90.00 to replace and can never be found when you need it!! sometimes experiance SUCKS!! rebuild the hei. keep it simple.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Why not try getting an HEI for cheap out of a junk yard?

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would just clean up the old distributor with brake cleaner or an electric parts cleaner and see if it gets oil in there again. The new distributor should work, but with no vacuum advance, I think that you would loose part-throttle response and some fuel mileage. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

6. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status