Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Drive Shaft Help!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 12, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I still have the problem with my rear shaft, keeps braking my u-joint broke my third one today, I pulled the yoke out and I noticed a plug in it, it's some kind of a screw with rubber around it that expands when you turn it, I guess the guy I bought the truck from tried to plug the yoke to keep the grease in there, is the yoke supposed to be plugged or can I run it like that, cause I took the plug out but I can see right through it or do I have to take the shaft to get it aligned and plugged, help if I dont need to plug it so I can put the new u-joint tommorrow I'm tired of driving no more than 35mph I dont want to damage my front pumpkin but every body just keeps looking at me and giving me dirty looks, I mean come on guys me driving a K5 at 35mph I dont think so that's why I need help A.S.A.P thanks much K5ers and K5erets

keep blazin !!!

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about the yoke that connects to the transfercase. The little hole is in between the Y of the yoke. Yes this is supposed to have a small hole. This helps when the driveshaft extends. I believe it allows air into the end of the shaft so it will move better. It's kind of like pulling a glass out of the dish water. If you pull it straight up there is a huge suction and it is hard to pull until you tilt it. Then the air relieves the pressure. The hole allows the shaft to travel, ie the grease makes the suction and needs pressure or air to help it move smoother.

The hole is also used when greasing the yoke. Hook up to the grease fitting and pump until it just comes out of the little hole. Then cover it with your finger and a rag and press hard (Be careful, there can be a lot of preassure). Next pump in more grease until it comes out around the driveshaft. It should completely change colors. Then remove your finger and pump one more time just to make sure the old grease is out.

This could be your problem or a ton of other things. Is your drive shaft in good shape? The correct length? installed the correct way? Is the angle correct? Don't over tighten the u joint bolts either. This can also lead to failure.

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response Toad but I dont think we're talking about the same hole, we are talking about the same yoke the one that connects to the transfercase but the hole I'm talking about is where the yoke attaches to the shaft but on the opposite end of the yoke which is the same diameter hope this helps you guys to help me I dont know what other way to explain it, wish I had a digital camera right now to post it up quickly, I might take a picture of it tomorrow and develop it to post it up so you guys can see what I'm talking about but if I cant maybe you guys can help me without a picture thanks again.

keep blazin !!!

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

My 76 only has three holes on the rear driveshaft yoke. The big one that slides over the actual driveshaft, the tiny one inbetween the Y of the yoke, and the one for the grease fitting. Perhaps yours is different or maybe you are missing your grease fitting. I'm not quite sure what you are explaining so I might not understand. I'd look in a repair manual to see a diagram of the driviline, or find someone in your area with a similar truck and look at their driveline.

Good Luck!!