Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need electrical help please..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blazerk5, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

I searched, but found no answers. Ok, I got tired of my power windows sucking a**, so I bought a totally new power window kit., minus the motors. My plan was to just change out all the wiring, but keep the same motors and regualators. I kept the same wires coming from the motor and just connected the wires from the old motor to the wires in the new kit that would have went to the new motor..make any sence? It says to hook the power wire up to the ignition + 12V (30A) . Any clue where I can run the wire to? I tried connecting it to the rear windo switch (orange wire), but nothing happened. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :confused::mad:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In '85, the terminals along the top of the fuse panel will be a combination of ignition 12 volts, variable voltage, and constant 12V. Figure out which plugs are constant 12V, go to the wrecking yard, and cut out one of the corresponding keyed connectors (any GM similar vintage will be a donor) that fit where you need it, and solder the lead to that connector.

The upper fuse panel terminals are all on a 30A circuit breaker.

I hope that fixes your problem, but the cynic in me says its either the motors or regulators (or window tracks) that are your problem.

3. 85blazerk5

Would I be able to just tap into one of those wires that you are talking about?

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

He is just talking about the terminals along the top row. Watch just tapping into a wire, you may overload the circuit.

I agree that I highly doubt the wiring is the problem with your windows. I am guessing they are slow is the problem you are having? If so, I would say you have a motor getting weak, or a regulator problem.

5. 85blazerk5

I recently swapped the motors, so they should be fine.

6. dyeager535

No, I'm not talking about tapping into wires, that isn't the way to do it. You want everything to work, do the wiring right.

You cut the plug out of a donor vehicle and solder the lead of your new kit to the connector, and plug it in.

What I don't understand is where the leads for the stock motors went. The plugs should already be on the fuse panel. IIRC power windows and door locks are not hard wired into the fuse panel, just like the rear window isn't, they are connected like I told you.

7. 85blazerk5

so, you are saying that the old power windows should be in that same location? I will check, I can't read the letters, they are all wore off. But I guess I can look for common colors, I will check it out when it's light outside.

8. dyeager535

I don't have power windows, except the rear. It gets its power from the upper terminals on the fuse panel, so if power windows on the side are the same, there should be one or two connectors that now go to nothing. Although there are connectors under the dash for the doors so you don't have to cut wiring to remove them, depending on how you removed your stuff, those connectors may or may not be there any longer.

Almost guaranteed to be a thicker orange wire.

9. 85blazerk5

I hate being this stupid about electric stuff, but I really have no clue, just making sure I get it right....I no longer use my rear power window because I have a soft top, so I should have 3 terminals that aren't being used. I just cut the wire out of the little block thing and solder in my power wire right? Thanks so much for your help.

10. dyeager535

Wish I had a picture of a newer fuse panel. :)

Have you looked at your panel, to see what I'm talking about? Anything plugged into the upper portion of the panel will come out, they jsut have a little tab on them that you depress to remove it from the fuse panel. That's all there is to them.

I'm really not sure on power distribution for the power side windows. The fuse panel itself has MULTIPLE spots for 12V ignition switched though, and if you look in the wrecking yards, you will also find the connectors that allow you to piggyback connectors on connectors, if there weren't enough spots. But there are probably 6 or more ignition switched spots.

11. 85blazerk5

yes I did look, I know what you are talking about, if one of those is to the power windows or free, I can just take the wire out and solder my new one in right?

12. dyeager535

Yes, if one goes to the power windows, you can just use it a you say. Cut the wire, solder connector to new wire, shrink wrap it, be done.

There won't be any "spare" wires down there unless you've removed other stuff. Really asking for problems if you've got cut 12V wires laying around the truck though...the old power window wires that aren't being used need to be traced back (to the fuse panel if necessary) and pulled from the truck.

13. 85blazerk5

alrighty, gotcha, thanks so much for the help...i understand now.

14. 85blazerk5

Ok, does anyone happen to know the color of the wire that powers your window motor? I am thinking it's pink, but mine are all taped up big time and it is just giving me all kinds of fits. I started to just cut the tape off of everything, but i don't want to end up cutting a wire trying to fine one wire. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

15. 85blazerk5

anyone please?