Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need engine 6.2, 6.5, 6BT, 4BT?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, May 2, 2005.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, my son killed the engine in the white K5. Knot head didn't keep an eye on the oil like I told him too. :rolleyes: Didn't use a drop AFAIK, but it did have a leak on the back of the intake that I never got around to dealing with. He was supposed to do it for me since he uses the truck all the time, but he always had more important things to do (like hang out with friends, listen to music, all that stuff teenage boys do). In the mean time, he swore to me he was checking at each tank, guess he lied. :mad: So now he's going to pay for an engine. <shrug> Stupidity costs him a lot lately...

However, I'm thinking this might be an oportunit to take the money and put it toward a re-engine as a diesel. Much better fuel mileage and all around better engine. Already got the Dana 60 and 14FF with 241 so no problems there; and the trans can be dealt with depending on the engine.

Obviously the 6.2/6.5 option is the cheapest, fastest, easiest way, so that's being considered. But the 6BT/4BT (particularly the 4BT) would be way cooler and more interesting. :D Might even switch to 5/6 speed at the same time since the 700r4 won't ever take anything more than a stock 6.2.

So, can somebody out ther HOOK ME UP! :deal: :waytogo:

2. BadDog

Well, it just arrived home and looks like it may not have been low oil. There is a nice gash in the oil pan at about the number 6 position. Further questioning indicates he was accelerating to get clear of a car to change lanes and exit when he felt a "really bad vibration" before it settled down but had no power, and then just died". When it come out we'll see what happened. Maybe it's a lingering problem from when he broke the trans doing "hole shots" (that cost him a bundle too since he had to pay for the trans), maybe just a wrist pin failure or something unrelated, who knows. Either way, time to find a diesel...

3. FWP

FWP CRS

I'll tell you what, you find ME a 94-98.5 6BT for 2000 or less, and I'll give you my 6.2/ banks for a great price ;) :grin:

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

5. BadDog

Yeah, but a "turned up" 6BT getting 20+ in a K5 would be SO COOL! :cool1: :cool1:

Maybe even get it running on veggy. Should be almost ideal out here with all the fast food restaurants and high ambient temps...

6. FWP

FWP CRS

You are of course correct, but A K30 conversion, done correctly, is cooler :p:

7. BadDog

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that one... :p: ;)

Hmmm, 500 hp, 900+ ft/lbs of torque, detroit locked 14 bolt turning 35" BFGs in a K5 wheel base. I wonder if it would pull the front tires even with 1000 lbs of Cummins along for the ride. :thinking: Needless to say, the boy would NOT be driving it after that... :screwy:

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey, If you're willing to go to all that trouble for James... Wanna adopt me? :haha:

9. BadDog

Read again...

10. FWP

FWP CRS

yeah yeah :p:

11. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That may be the case, but the coolest would be a 1972 Suburban with a Cummins. But, then the realist in me speaks up and tells me the cooler of the three choices will be the one that moves under its own diesel power first. I think I'm going to be last...... :confused: .

12. BadDog

I think that technically Fred has us both beat since he already has the 6.2 in his K30. :blush:

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Technically, the way it was worded, yes, as I forgot the Cummins stipulation in that statement.

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

While you're in the mood of adoptin, we're much closer. Besides that we've had in our signature the willingness to be adopted forever.

You make the call!! :D

15. BadDog

Sorry, but no can do. You're looking for someone "rich" and I'm poor as a... a... well, I'm so poor I don't even know how to describe it... :) And I sure didn't need this dead engine expense right now. <sniff>

On the up side, I've got some "Dart" heads I can sell off this engine as long as a piston didn't hit a valve and tear something up... And if the rod didn't hit the cam (which I'm sure it did) a roller cam along with roller rockers and all that good stuff. May even have 7 (depending) 9:1 HyperTeu pistons. But bottom end is totally trashed at the least. Maybe I'll get lucky and at least have some parts to sell, or use in the truggy? <shrug>