Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need engine advice FAST, please read..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alaskan85K5, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

My 305 is dying. I've found a guy who's willing to sell me a 350 that came out of a 1979 pickup. Its pulled out and everything, he said it got to hot and seized up on him, wouldn't start or something. I don't really know the whole story. It sounds like I can pick it up for $75 bucks. But my question is can I rebuild it. If it seized up on him does that mean the pistons melted to the block or what? What can/can't be done?

So my question for all the experts. How do I know if this engine can be rebuilt??? I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning, what should I look for to make sure its okay? I'd like to rebuild it and replace my dying 305 with it. What should I be looking for???

Any advice is very welcome. That includes rebuild advice, for example what cam should I use, where could I get a good low cost rebuild kit. Keep in mind my blazer is mostly a daily driver with a little off-road action so I want to build the 350 for the best fuel economy/perfomance possible.

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

As long as there are no cracks in the block it should be OK, just need to get it bored. Summit sells a variety of rebuild kits for almost any engine combination you can think of.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I *knew* the engine had seized, I'd probably pull the pan, a couple of main caps, and a head. (or both) I'd be worried about cracks in stuff (if it overheated, and since someone is trying to sell you something, I doubt they'd include that) as well, pulling the heads off will allow you to look at the cylinder bores. Pulling the pan will make sure there are no pieces down there, or bent rods, etc.

Pistons are gonna be tossed anyway, but if they gouged the walls real, real bad, or if it was overbored before, you may not be able to bore it again. .060 for a "stock" rebuild seems to be about the max recommended (and even then its iffy) on a SBC.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Just remember, $75 for a peice of cracked junk is a total waste of money.
    If I bought it (which I wouldn't) I would have it magnifluxed for cracks. By the time you spend the money on having the block, heads, rod etc. checked you might as well be looking for another motor. I'd rather rebuild a old worn out motor that still ran than one that had locked up.... just my .02

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

A seized engine usually is not worth messing with. You should be able to find another donor that still turns. When an engine seizes it can cause many hidden problems, like internal cracks, warpage, missalignment of the crank bore, and many other things. You will have more money tied up in it trying to get it right again than it would cost for a crate motor. My advice is run from it and keep looking.

John