Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need engine advise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

ok here is the deal, the motor in my 79' is knocking. sounds like a diesel underneath, the oil pressure is jumping around,and the oil takes about 3or4 minutes to go to the topend. this engine is supposed to have around 20k on it. it does not smoke runs fairly decent (except for what I stated above)
    has good compression and no blow by. so heres is the delima
    1.yank the motor out and check the tolerances and go form there
    2.yank the motor replace rod,main bearings,oil pump,mic everything and hope it does not screw upafter reassembling
    3.Run the h#ll out of it and let it throw a rod and get a GM crate.

I am leaning more to no.2 with #3 running a close second
    I don't really was to blow it up. it is supposed to have a steel crank plus I really don't want to blow it up if I can get away with fixing it for a couple bills. but on the other hand getting a GM crate would be so much easier [​IMG]

so what would you guys do???

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My vote would be for number two and I'd do it pronto before anything else get damaged worser [​IMG]

I suspect you'll be pretty near rebuilding it though by your description. Disassembly is free though and if you end up going with a crate the old motor would have to come out anyways.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

I would get a crate and rebuild this on your time schedule. Sounds like a bearing. But a full rebuild could cost as much as a crate. You won't know the condition until you break it down. On my set-up it cost me more for the machine shop than the parts.
    Luke

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If the poil pressure does eventually reach the high mark I bet your oil pump is going out of tolerence. How thick of oil are you running in it too, that could be a factor. Does the sound lessen when the oil gauge reads high or does it remain constant and about the same. When main bearings are out of tolerance it is usually reverse of what you have described. You have good pressure at first then as the engine warms up and thins down the oil the pressure drops tr mendously. I would lean more towards a failing oil pump than anything else.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

what the he!! is poil, I meant oil. Geeeeez

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>