Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need ENGINE- Cheap resources, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ErikH, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have a '71 K5, and my 5 yr-old SB-350 is nearing its death. Does anyone have good engine resources in the So Cal area? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Seeing that I don't have the cash for one of those hi-ouput GM crate motors, does anyone know if I can keep this project around $1000? Can I get a decent rebuilt engine (better than Pep Boys!) for this much? What about a 383? I'd be willing to rebuild it myself (it's not a daily-driver), but will I really save enough money? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    -Erik

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Summit, Jeg's, PAW, and other's sell reasonably priced kit's for 350's, 383's, all You have to do is a little machine shop work, and assemble it.

Check with them and see what they have to offer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Jeg's (More so, Summit) Have cheap kits, but there's no telling the shape of your heads, block, etc. I bought a reman from a local machine shop. Bored .040 over with new pistons, pushrods, lifters, Elgin cam, 3-way valve job heads with gasket kit and two cans of Chevy Orange paint for $705 out the door. Check your local yellow pages for engine shops and call to see what you can find....

4. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I've seen the Summit and Jeg's offerings, but I'm more into going local. I'm likely going to replace the heads, hone the block and re-ring the pistons...and throw in a bigger cam while I'm at it. Gotta save as much cash as I can... The engine is a cheapo rebuild with about 40K miles... ran silently until last week when a couple valves started knocking REAL loud.