Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need engine diagnosis assistance from the motor gods!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Dec 21, 2003.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I finally discovered why I am not getting oil up the pushrods--- there is an obvious amount of slop around the lifters and oil gushes up around them. I removed several of the lifters and discovered that the lifter bores are about .003inch bigger than the lifters. The lifter bores are not out of round and appear to have a honed finish. The engine has only about 3500 miles since the last rebuild. The question I have is----do they make an oversize roller lifter? If not I assume that I am down to finding a different block, what a PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The motor is a newer style 350 that is bored and stroked to a 383 and has a roller cam. Any input is appreciated!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

are they stock lifters? oil leaking around the lifters should hinder performance on hydraulic lifters since they would lose their hydraulic action.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM did make oversize lifters, but I don't recall in what sizes. Used to be when they used oversized stuff (lifters, pistons, etc) they would stamp a letter next to the bore to indicate that it was oversize, and also what size it was now.

Haven't heard of that in roller motors though, I figure that now, it's cheaper to scrap the whole block in production than to stock other sizes of tools and lifters.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3 thou...and it's sloppy? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif How much tighter do you think that bore should be? The lifter does need some lube bewteen itself and the lifter bore. Honestly, 3 thou sounds about right.

30 thou and I'd agree you have a problem. Are you sure it's only 3 thou?

Rene

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yeah I agree with trusty, 3 thou is nothin 30 however(about a sprk plug gap) would cause trouble

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I would agree except that have you ever been able to wobble a lifter in the bore? I haven't. Most are so close tolerance that when you add a little oil they are a pain to remove. I believe the accepted tolerance is .001 from what I have been told. When I pressurize the system with an old cut down distributor the oil gushes out around the lifters, NOT normal! The engine carries 50 pounds of oil pressure at idle and hits 65-70 at 2500 rpm. The lifters show no signs of wear and I checked the oil passages in the lifters as well as the pushrods and all are perfectly clean. I believe the fact that the engine has roller tip rockers has kept the upper end alive this long. It only gets oil from what is splashed up from the valley through the openings in the heads. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you use an inside Mic on the lifter bores or was 3 thou a guess? With wobble and oil gushing around the lifters under pressure tells me it's more than a couple thou of slop.

Pretty odd, you would think whoever assembled the motor would have noticed the lifter dropping in 'too' easy.

Sorry I can't be of more help...never run across that problem before.

rene

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I used a mic, they were all consistently .003 over. I have been trying to figure out my lack of upper end oiling for about 8 weeks off and on. None of the mechanics I quized ever came up with this scenario. I finally gave up and pulled the intake this morning to try and figure it out and waa laa instant PITA! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

HEy at least you have one wicked nice red suburban. holly crap man that thing is so incredably nice! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Who built the motor? I think they owe you a fix, or at the very least an explanation.

Not uncommon to put things for the wrong motor into the wrong hole, especially with lifters.

11. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I bought the truck with the engine in it. I plan on calling the engine builder tomorrow. As far as lifters I can only find the one size for the small blocks .842". As far as looks, it appears that the lifter bores might have been honed out, in my opinion maybe a little too much. The engine appears to have been well built and the engine builder is very reputable, I just think it is something that was overlooked during assembly. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Who knows, maybe he forgot the sleeves. He will probably recognize his handiwork....

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Found a cure. I found a shop that will sleeve the lifter bores with bushings. The advantage is like boring a block it that the bores will be trued with the cam. The cost is cheaper than finding another block and having it prepped to match my internals(can I say that on this page /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). So the bottom line is that it is going to be a looong night. I have to have it a the machine shop in the a.m. so if anyone is bored tonight please feel free to drop by (mudzer this might help offset the labor on your hybrid contraption! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)